harpcolumn

Cracked Neck

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Cracked Neck

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I have a brand new Irish harp (it was handmade by one of the harp makers in Dublin, only got it about 6 weeks ago) and unfortunately it was accidentally knocked over today by a chair and took quite the fall. The neck is after cracking, badly. I’m wondering if anyone has seen this kind of damage before and knows if this even repairable because I am extremely worried that this is beyond repair.

Picture:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

catherine-rogers
    Participant

It can be repaired but I suspect that will mean replacing the neck. The original builders should do it, if possible.

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks, we’re bring it back to them later in the week. Do you know if it would be a very expensive procedure (Like over a thousand)?

alice-freeman
    Spectator

How sad. Sorry for your accident.

I had a very similar accident last fall, resulting in a very similar partially cracked neck and just got my repaired Triplett Catalina back this week. The crack has been glued and 5 oak dowels inserted in the neck. Time will tell whether this will hold or not.

Good luck!

— Alice in windy Wyoming

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks! I hope it all goes well for you. I am bit calmer now about being able to fix it but panicky about the cost of repair.. was it pricey for your harp?

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

For information’s sake, here’s Rick Kemper’s (of Sligo Harps) ideas/procedure for repairing a cracked harp neck.

Christian Frederick
    Participant

Oh my! That’s more than a bandage. So sorry…..

Tacye
    Participant

If it were mine I would take the tension off all the strings immediately- maybe you have already.

It can be expensive. It means taking the harp apart to replace it. If it is bolted or screwed and glued instead, that is perhaps less expensive, but unsightly.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies