harpcolumn

PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE A HARP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE A HARP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    jan-fetty
    Participant

Teva, your description

jan-fetty
    Participant
    brook-boddie
    Participant

Hi Teva,

I don’t necessarily like the Thormahlens over the others (I love Dusty Strings harps!), but the Serenade just seemed to best fit your description of the sound that you are looking for.

teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

Hi Jane, I will look into the Webster cecilia harp. I am really getting to understand how I need to try out these harps before coming to a decision. Thanks for the info!

teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

Hi Brook! Please tell me MORE about the SERENADE. I was under the impression that it was more of a “beginner’s” harp, with a lesser quality and sound than some of the pricier models such as the dusty fh36s or the thormahlen swan or the triplett signature. Obviously, the lower price is an attraction for me, BUT since this purchase will likely be the ONLY harp I will ever buy, I want to make sure that i am making the right decision.

brook-boddie
    Participant

Hi Teva,

No, it’s definitely not lesser quality.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I bought a Serenade as my first harp. I don’t know how to say enough good things about it. It sounds absolutely wonderful, and when I bought it, that was my only thought, but if you go to the website you will find that you can get wonderful inlay and also flashy new colors, and still stick to your budget.

The Serenade is not just a student harp. It is a wonderful instrument.

Please check out the Thormahlen website. Hopefully you will be able to play a Serenade before you make your final decision.

Sorry I said “wonderful” so many times, so just sub in “terrific” and “fabulous” a couple times and my prose will sound a lot better.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Teva,

I just want to chime in and say that it’s very important to try the harp that you are going to buy, or if this isn’t possible, then have a knowledgeable harpist do it for you in person.

teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

Hi Brooke, Sherry and Yerusha, Once again, thanks you for your invaluable inout regarding my pursuit to find a harp. It certainly makes sense that I try the instrument before i buy it. that is what I did with my keyboard, And with my guitars,and with those, i definitely made the right decisions.But in those cases, it was a no brainer, we have plenty of music stores nearby that carry those instruments, but i have never seen a harp sold in any of those stores, and curiously, to this day, i have never even touched a large floor harp. it was a big surprise and delight for me to hear that there is a Harp festival here in Florida in february, so i think that will be my best opportunity to try different harps. Hope i can hold out that long!!!!!!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

If not, there’s a big event in Asheville the first weekend in October (usually many more vendors and a lot of harp makers), if you can find the time to drive that far:

http://southeasternharps.com/

barbara-brundage
    Participant

And you’ll find a huge range of different harps in S FL, if you contact one of the teachers down there with a large studio. Charlene Conner would be in your area, and she has a whole gaggle of harps she rents out to students, in addition to all the various harps her students have.

teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

Yes, Barbara, This very morning, i read about the event in Asheville, and I would love to go, but since I am recovering from recent knee surgery(right knee) driving is pretty much out of the question- but who knows? life is filled with so many unexpected twists and turns, maybe i will find a way to get there!!!!!!! Teva

teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

Barbara, I still dont have a harp teacher. Now that you live in Florida, perhaps you know of or could recommend a teacher who is local to my area (West Broward- Ft lauderdale, West Boca, Coral Springs) or perhaps you have a list of teachers? I am interested in Folk/Celtic rather than classical!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Well, that’s an area where there just aren’t a lot of celtic players. I guess Marg Chauvin:

http://heartstrings.harper.net/

although she’s up in Palm Beach county, or you could call Charlene and ask her for a recommendation. I don’t live down that way anymore, so there may be new people I don’t know.

Lisa Kikol is in your general area, too, but I don’t know if she teaches. You might search on her name here and send her an email.

Sorry to hear about your knee surgery. Hope the recovery goes quickly.

deb-l
    Participant

Harps International has a showroom in St. Petersburg, is that too far for you?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.