PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE A HARP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    barbara-brundage on #156521

They have a harp circle that meets once a month and I think they have a regular meeting scheduled for September, too.

Participant
    Barbara Evenson on #156522

Hi Teva,

I’ve owned a cherry Triplett Signature for 6 years now, and love it.

Participant
    teva-benshlomo–2 on #156523

Hi Barbara, Thank you for the info. Being new on the harp, I had no idea that there were many harpists in south Florida. I will definitely contact the AHS chapter!

Participant
    teva-benshlomo–2 on #156524

Hi Barbara, I have also heard great things about the Triplett Signature. I am getting closer to making up my mind. I would still like to know how the Signature differs from the Dusty Strings FH 36 in terms of volume, tone, brightness,warmth etc. if you have any comments, i would be much obliged!!!!!!

Participant
    Nancy Palmer on #156525

Teva, are you taking lessons? I’m local to you; many of our area harp instructors rent instruments for a very reasonable price.

If you can hold off on a purchase until Spring, there’s a tremendous harp event in early February put on by the Southwest Florida chapter of the American Harp Society. Several vendors should attend, and you’ll get a chance to get up-close and personal with several different makes of lever harps. I attended as a newbie last year, and learned a lot about what I like and dislike in a harp. This should only be about 4 – 5 hours from you.

http://www.swflaharp.org/

If you want to try some Tripletts, Sue Carole de Vale of Harps International had some when I was there last month. You can find her online; you will need to call ahead to visit. Sue Carole was very friendly and helpful… definitely worth the drive to St. Pete. She also has several other manufacturers for you to try for comparison.

Participant
    Nancy Palmer on #156526

Sue Carole’s info can be found by clicking on the Florida map.

http://harps-international.com/

Participant
    teva-benshlomo–2 on #156527

Thanks Barbara. I contacted the south Florida harp society, and hope to attend the September meeting. Harp column has been invaluable!

Participant
    teva-benshlomo–2 on #156528

Hi Nancy, I am so excited to hear that there will be a big harp event in Florida! I only hope I can hold off purchasing a harp until spring, but I guess that would be the wisest course of action, especially since I have only played a small lap harp . Where are you located? Which harp did you choose?

Participant
    barbara-kraichy–2 on #156529

Hello Teva,

Participant
    teva-benshlomo–2 on #156530

hi Barbara, thanks so much for the info about the harp festival in Naples. I would love to be able to attend, and play in the ensemble. I will try to hold off buying a harp until then, but that will be quite a challenge! By the way, where do the attendees stay while in naples? Are there any reasonably priced motels nearby? (downtown Naples is very expensive in February!)please keep me posted. With great appreciation, Teva

Participant
    Nancy Palmer on #156531

I’m in Coral Springs, Teva. I’ve yet to choose my harp for purchase. I’ve rented an Aoyama previously, but am now happily plunking along on a rented Lyon and Healy Prelude. I’m leaning toward purchasing a Prelude, perhaps not as a forever harp, but to see me through these first couple of years as I learn the rudiments of music. I’m quite the beginner. I receive my lessons on a Prelude, and I found that switching back and forth to the Aoyama, with its very different string placement, was too much for my brain to wrap around. I love the look and sound of the more folk-oriented harps, but the Prelude may be what I need to learn on initially.

I’m very thankful to have had the opportunity to try different harps. It’s just as important to find out what doesn’t work for you as what does! For example, I’ve learned that Loveland levers are not a good choice for me, but I’d never have known it without trying them last February at the Naples event.

Renting gives me time to do my research, and to spend time getting to know different harps. If you can make it work, I really recommend it.

Participant
    barbara-kraichy–2 on #156532

Hello Teva,

Participant
    teva-benshlomo–2 on #156533

Well I am really overwhelmed and excited by the wonderful responses I am getting on harp column forum. Yes I want to attend the Naples event and I will supply my contact info. I also wanted to reiterate that I am still quite the beginner as far as harping goes, hope I am up to being in an ensemble! Look forward to meeting you

Participant
    teva-benshlomo–2 on #156534

Hi Nancy, I never expected to discover someone else from coral springs on harp column. I may just be your neighbor! I live off Atlantic blvd in shadowood!! What a small world. Well I would love to get together with you, to talk to you about harps, to look at your harp and to find out about harp teachers in the area. When are you available? Since I recently had knee surgery, I am taking a break from working, so I presently have plenty of free time. Look forward to meeting with you. Teva

Participant
    teva-benshlomo–2 on #156535

Hi Brooke, I listened to you playing the Serenade on YouTube, and it sounds gorgeous. Now I am definitely also going to consider this model. Why do you like it more than the others? So many choices!!!!!!!Thanks, teva

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 69 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.