harpcolumn

If money was no object I would buy….

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break If money was no object I would buy….

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    Gillian Bradford
    Participant

Actually I was also really amused by Zen’s “baroque” comment since most highly ornate harps are actually Victorian in design. Even the inspiration for those designs don’t come from the baroque period. They are more regency (grecian motifs and acanthus scrolls) or Victorian gothic revival (Erard gothics, Wurlitzer DD style, L&H style 26).

But hey! That’s just the historian coming out in me.

For my taste I do prefer a simply designed harp. I really like a lot of the modern harps with a simple column, zero carving and straight polished finishes. I’m not a big fan of gilding but don’t mind it in moderation. I do like a turned and fluted column though if it doesn’t have a lot of intricate carving on it.

harp guy
    Participant

I guess my tongue in cheek humor wasn’t clear. It wasn’t meant as an attempt to be decietful. Most non-harpists don’t know the difference between lever and pedal. As long as it looks and sounds like a pedal harp, most people are happy. I mean… why haul a concert/semi grand pedal harp to a gig if all of your repertoire is playable on a lever harp? I would rather save my back any day. That way the client gets the look and sound of a “real” harp, and I don’t break something.

But that being said… I would actually have to have a pedal harp.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Gotcha, although:

>As long as it looks and sounds like a pedal harp, most people are happy

I have to say where I live this is not the case–clients who come to my house, where there is a style 11 sitting in the living room, usually say, “You’re not going to bring THAT, are you?” Currently my brides prefer the look of a lever harp by about 50 to 1, an interesting change from ten or fifteen years ago.

As a matter of fact, I recently recommended someone who’s very much a gown-and-gold-harp kind of gal for a job I couldn’t do, and the client looked at her website and called me back to ask for another recommendation, because “we could see she’s just too fancy for our little party.”

carl-swanson
    Participant

That’s really interesting Barbara. I would have thought it would be the opposite. I was always under the impression that most brides want something that looks like a hood ornament on a pimp-mobile. What a pleasant surprise.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Well, I think it has to do with the whole aesthetic that’s been hot for the past ten years or so: a house that looks like a kitchen or an ikea-furnished dorm room, a kitchen that looks like the back end of a restaurant, little color and no ornamentation in clothing: the kids who are reaching bride age now grew up in a world where to be trendy is to be stark. Completely the opposite of the whole 80s thing of color, pattern, embroidery, lace, etc.

Geri McQuillen
    Participant

Thank you, Carl.

Geri McQuillen
    Participant

I have one, Barbara, that just might fool ’em.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I’m not sure you understood me, Geri. I’m saying that the most basic looking lever harp is suitable these days, because brides don’t care what a harp looks like, except that most of mine would opt for simple over ornate now, if given a choice.

I *never* gig on a pedal harp, haven’t for years. The 11 gets an outing once a year, on Christmas Eve, to give it a thrill. 🙂

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I have to admit, though, to bring this back on topic, that if money were no object I would love, love, love to have a lever harp that looks something like the Eliza Ridgely harp, for all that my brides wouldn’t be impressed.

Geri McQuillen
    Participant

Sorry, Barbara, if I misunderstood.

carl-swanson
    Participant

How nice to hear that Geri. Thank you. I think it’s a great looking harp too!

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

1. How does one play the Mendelssohn wedding march on a lever harp?

2. I have a LH 17 with gold, and a LH 100 without gold.

The best lever arrangement is Dewey Owens.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Well, I play my own arrangement. I think that octave jump for the sharp in Dewey’s arrangement is just weird sounding. Most pedal harp versions and most of the organists I hear also skip the chromatic section, incidentally.

harp guy
    Participant

My my… how the pot has been stirred. : /

Well, in my area, the trend is still in favor of the pedal harp look. Celtic/traditional shaped lever harps tend to look “fat and ugly” to the people around here. The only exception is when I take out my musicmaker’s studio harp. It has the neck of a pedal harp, but the pillar of a celtic harp. So it’s “okay” for more folk-type venues.

Anyway, I really like the Dewey Owen’s arrangement. You just preset two accidentals, and then through the bridge you have 1 lever change (a c#). Very manageable. The only things I have changed

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 103 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies