unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,321 through 1,335 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: studying harp in college #166732
    unknown-user
    Participant

    To be more specific, It doesn’t matter what

    in reply to: Teenage harpists! #165691
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hey Christine,

    I play harp as well, except I’m 13 and have been playing for about 4 years.

    in reply to: Teenage harpists! #165690
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hey Christine,

    This is my post as well. I’m 17 from VA. I play lever harp, well starting to anyway. I have my first real recital in Dec.

    in reply to: Candide #110603
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Lillian Hellman version was the first. I wish I had the money to buy ALL of them. I think it’s Berstein theater music at it’s best- some think it’s Bernstein in general at his best but I’m not familiar enough with some of the more scholarly works to venture an opinion on that.

    I have 2 CD’s coming, the first original (1956) and another of the several that was conducted by Berstein himself. As far as I can find out, Barbara Cook appeared in the very first production and no other, but I could be wrong on that. Gotta find a chronological list with details somewhere….

    Saul, to highjack my own thread- did you notice that there are three Salzedos on the classified page? No old ones though.

    in reply to: Candide #110602
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I have seen several productions, and it seems the first was the best-Minnesota Opera-quite witty, and based on the Chelsea Theater Center production which starred Barbara Cook, I believe. All the subsequent reworkings seem to have diminished it. The original book was the most satirical, I believe.

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102823
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’ve seen some harp vulgarity: slit skirts up the thigh, posing to show off anatomy, oh for the days of dignity.

    in reply to: What do you think the prettiest small harp is? #105145
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I think my Nightingale weighs around 10 1/2 pounds in cherry, but when you go to the website you will see that Jeff Lewis also makes a

    in reply to: Candide #110600
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’m thinking of the first “original” as a baseline, and I love and always have loved Barbara Cook, but choosing a second isn’t as easy. I love “Make Our Garden Grow” and at least two of the newer versions didn’t include it. There’s also some version in which the lyrics of “Best of All Possible Worlds” are completely changed from the original. I like the first version.

    If you’re interested, there’s a great website with a collection of contemporary comments when the first version was produced. URL is “geocities.com/bernsteincandide Berstein’s Candide”. Lillian Hellman was as miserable with the production as critics were with what she was writing. A bad mix from the start judging by

    in reply to: Who was the harpist in Ricky Ricardo’s orchestra? #104747
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I was surfing YouTube and happened to find a clip from an I Love Lucy episode that shows a “close-up” of the harpist “in action” with Desi Arnaz (Ricky Ricardo) singing beside her… (please note – you need to watch the entire clip to see the really close-up shots of her playing…). Enjoy!

    in reply to: Thoughts on Swanson Harps #74844
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I second the thought.

    in reply to: Harp Circle starting in Central Minnesota – Cokato #108807
    unknown-user
    Participant

    We have a place near Cokato, Big Swan Lake. I don’t know if I’ll be out there with a harp, though.

    in reply to: Thoughts on Swanson Harps #74841
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I WANT ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    -cloud

    in reply to: Harp Circle starting in Central Minnesota – Cokato #108806
    unknown-user
    Participant

    by the way, it’s on the 3rd Thursday of each month at The Grounds in Cokato : )

    in reply to: Carbon fiber harp #160292
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hello Emilia- The show was probably about the Luis and Clark instruments, now including a violin, viola, and concert bass in addition to the cello. I recently attended

    in reply to: studying harp in college #166728
    unknown-user
    Participant

    University of Washingto (Heidi Lehwalder)

    San Jose State University (Karen Thielen)

    University of Michigan (Joan Holland)

    University of Colorado (Janet Harriman)

    San Francisco State University (Karen Gottlieb)

    Please contact me for more suggestions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,321 through 1,335 (of 5,570 total)