harpcolumn

Thoughts on Swanson Harps

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Thoughts on Swanson Harps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Tacye
    Participant

My experience with harp selling is that it is not so much the possible resale value which goes down if you have something unusual, as the time to find the right buyer goes up (so some people lower the price to sell faster).

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Everybody!

I was wondering what everybody thought of Swanson Harps, more

specificially the La scoula. Would it be better to stick to Lyon and

Healy and Salvi? My Teacher says to stay away from all others except

Lyon and Healy and of course, Salvi because of the resale value on the

other brands. It is true that the resale value can be bad but If you

really love your harp, what do you care about resale value?

any thoughts anybody?

-bruce

unknown-user
    Participant

I’ve been taking lessons on a Swanson La Scoula for about 2 months, and while the Swanson brand is smaller and lesser known than LH/Salvi, I’m impressed every time I sit down to play it.

One thing about Swasons that strikes me as MUCH better than LH/Salvi is the fact that there is so much room in the uppermost octaves. I’ve done some work with Contemplation by Renie, and in that twinkly section in the really high octaves, I’ve found I just can’t do it on my Salvi CG. On the La Scoula I’m comfortable playing it, even with my long fingers.

I don’t know the first thing about finances and resale values, but I can tell you that (sound wise and structurally speaking) Swanson harps are right up there with the big boys.

unknown-user
    Participant

I am delighted to be able to state the excellence of Swanson harps.

unknown-user
    Participant

For the past decade I’ve owned a Swanson Semi-Gilded Empire and can report unconditional delight with the instrument. In the words of a colleague who performed on it a few years ago, “it is a revelation!” Virtually every orchestra and choral conductor who has heard the harp praises its clarity and brilliance, its depth of tone, stability of pitch, and physical beauty. This is especially remarkable considering the chaotic nature of New England weather conditions and the antiquated state of heating/air conditioning systems in our ancient performing facilities. The harp is aging magnificently, remaining entirely stable, maintenance-free (with only routine regulations and string changes), and with ever-deepening tonal color. The workmanship is of the finest quality and often commented on by knowledgeable colleagues and artisans. My husband and sons greatly appreciate the relative lighter weight of the instrument when hefting it up the many stairs in elevator-impaired Boston facilities. As a performer I’m especially grateful for the added space in the top octaves and the stability of the Swanson Harp in holding pitch. Harpists in New England are extremely fortunate to have Carl Swanson, who provides impeccable technical service, and to have the Swanson instruments so close at hand. I recommend not only his pedal harps, but also his folk harps, several of which my students have purchased with unqualified satisfaction.

unknown-user
    Participant

My Scuola is now 4-5 years old, and I’ve been very happy with it from the first week, when I had to use it unexpectedly on the Brahms op.17 songs. (The darker sound of my gold 23 was being swallowed up by the weird acoustic of the church we were in).

I chose the Scuola for its brighter sound, clarity, and focused projection in orchestral playing. Since I started using it, I’ve never had a conductor ask for “More Harp!,” even in an opera or show pit. I regularly use it with the Boston Philharmonic (all the Mahler symphonies with those great low-register parts), the Portland (Maine) Symphony, several opera companies, theater companies, many choral societies, etc., etc.)

There’s much more room at the the top than there is on my 1982 23, which is a pleasure.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Everybody!

Thank you so much to everybody who contributed an answer! I have heard nothing but good things about Swanson Harps!!! If i could only find one for sale in CA or surrounding areas:(

unknown-user
    Participant

I tried out the first three harps Carl made and brought to New York to show. I greatly preferred the La Scuola which had a notably warm and bright tone. The Empire harps were to me exceedingly dark, but others really liked that.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Gee, it’s so nice to hear such nice things about my instruments!

unknown-user
    Participant

I WANT ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-cloud

Carl– Have you ever thought of designing a harp in the style of Frank Lloyd Wright? How cool would that be?

carl-swanson
    Participant

Steve- Show me a design!

unknown-user
    Participant

I second the thought.

I actually have one in mind… I’ve based it off of his windows from the Oak Park era. I’ll try to sketch it up!

unknown-user
    Participant

I have one like that, too. Geometric and floral combined.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies