unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: international harp competition winners #83580
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Carl,

    Thats a good point – that the competitions have been around long enough to see overall trends. Perhaps, then, the interest in large competitions is waning in America? And because of the waning interest more and more teachers do not know or forget how to prepare students for a big competitions, so the American harpists who do go out to the competitions are not properly prepared. Look at the list of competitors of these competitions, the Americans are few and most seem to be eliminated early…

    Also, I think you’d be playing with fire by saying that juries provide unbiased reviews. That is the complete opposite of anything anyone has ever told me! For instance, look at the AHS competitions – in all categories except the Young Professional screens are put up so that the judges don’t take a particular technique into account! The screens would never have been erected if the competition thought that the jury could be unbiased. The only reason why screens cannot be put up for a large international competitions is that the judges need to see a performer’s stage presence. And not to mention issues of race, gender, previous experience (of the performer – crowd favorite) and the countless other factors that could sway a judge subconciously.

    Anyway, the fact of the matter is that a jury simply cannot be assumed to be unbiased and is, therefore, not a sure fire way to indicate a harpist’s talent. Albeit, it

    in reply to: international harp competition winners #83578
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Two things:

    A) Don’t forget about Emily Levin, who was just a finalist in Israel at 18!

    B) I don’t think its possible to separate the issues of playing the harp very well and preparing for a competition successfully when talking about

    in reply to: international harp competition winners #83572
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I can’t say for Julie Bunzel, but Julie Smith has been awarded both the bronze and silver medals at the UIHC.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: international harp competition winners #83569
    unknown-user
    Participant

    To search harp column (and any website) type in what you are searching for in google and then follow it with site:harpcolumn.com. For instance searching “Salzedo site:harpcolumn” will find any page in harpcolumn.com that has the word Salzedo in it. If you forget the exact format, just go to “advanced search” on google.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Harpist at Chelsea Clintons Wedding #149685
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Yeh, I bet that is true! I can understand secrecy leading up to it and all but now its over I can’t see how it would hurt anyone to just know who it was and what thay played. Dying to know!

    in reply to: so bummed #107922
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Oh okay, I think I get it. Sounds like you have worked out its the wrong

    in reply to: so bummed #107919
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Or! Why don’t you rearrange the AC room that you like to leave the harp in, so that theres enough

    in reply to: so bummed #107918
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Its a bit confusing all this.

    Maybe you need to get a trolley so you can keep the harp in the room you like and move it to the room you like to play it in?

    I broke a whole lot of strings when I first got my harp but it settled down after that. Two strings doesn’t sound too bad

    in reply to: Delacour levers #73744
    unknown-user
    Participant

    “it would be ideal to try them next to another but the problem is that it isn’t an option”.

    If you cannot try these levers on the harp you are actually buying, may I suggest that you play one of

    in reply to: Delacour levers #73743
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I found the input from harp builders on that thread most useful, thank you for posting the link.

    in reply to: Renie’s Legende-Pedal NIGHTMARE #156920
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Nevermind about the second thing I said (about moving D and B simultaneously) – it was just a thin connection I made because I remembered seeing an indication to move the D and B pedals simultaneously in the music AND I thought I saw a video of someone doing this. (although you can’t quite see her legs or feet) After looking at it some more, it doesn’t appear that moving D and B simultaneously is possible/helps. Just use my first suggestions, which does work.

    The name of the font is EngraverTextH. It should come preloaded with Finale. You can even use it in word!

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Renie’s Legende-Pedal NIGHTMARE #156917
    unknown-user
    Participant

    BTW, Ian, I just watched a video of Hannah Kuipers, who just competed in the USA competition, playing Legende. At the part you mentioned she had a bit of trouble, but it appears to me that she did as the music instructed – moving both the D and B pedals to natural simultaneously, which you do by switching the B pedal with your right foot. That’s tricky, though, and risky during a performance (especially in a competition, if you’re going for Israel or the next AHS Young Proffesional division!) so I’d use

    in reply to: Renie’s Legende-Pedal NIGHTMARE #156916
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks Vince, I actually got the idea from some old Russian/Eastern European editions that use the traditional pedal diagram (when printing, not personal notes) except that the symbol used in each position was different… and so it looked something like…

    in reply to: bogus teacher request emails? #83806
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Yes, I take this precaution also. However, if you request notification for certain topics, you may have noticed that when it is sent to you it contains the email

    in reply to: bogus teacher request emails? #84519
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Yes, I take this precaution also. However, if you request notification for certain topics, you may have noticed that when it is sent to you it contains the email

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 5,570 total)