column

What type of harp should I buy??? (Down to three choices)

Home Forums Harps and Accessories What type of harp should I buy??? (Down to three choices)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hello Everyone!!!!

unknown-user
    Participant

Be very cautious with an instrument made of cocobolo. It is a wood that can cause an alergic reaction much like poison ivy. It is in a class called sensitizers and with repeated contact you can break out in an itchy rash.

Curt

unknown-user
    Participant

Ok, that brings up another topic; What type of woods are recommended???

For soundboard, I am sticking to Cedar or Sruce (Enleman or European, not Sitka).

If anyone has comments or experiance with the following woods, please post your opinion.

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

I don’t know anything about Timothy Harps, you’re best bet is to try to find someone who has owned or at least heard one.

Jeralee
    Participant

I really like the sound of the Thormahlen harps.

unknown-user
    Participant

Pavel,

I don’t have any experience with cocobolo. I don’t work in any of the toxic woods (bad for my lungs). It is a very dense and heavy wood that is gorgeous in it’s grain and color so it should give a harp that has a darker and mellower sound. Some other soundboard woods to consider are; redwood, poplar, basswood and mahogany. While they are non-traditional woods they all give good response and each has it’s own set of plusses and minuses. I hope this didn’t further complicate your choice. Much of the info on soundboards is from my readings. The only ones that I have personal experience with are Sitka spruce, western cedar and poplar. The others I have never used in a harp.

unknown-user
    Participant

I recently ordered a Llyr harp for my daughter (expect delivery end of Oct) after trying one out at the Somerset Festival in July.

unknown-user
    Participant

Speaking of Harp festivals, where on earth can I find one!!!

unknown-user
    Participant

Pavel

Here’s a link with a listing of harp events.

http://www.celticharper.com/events1.html

On why we picked the Timothy?

unknown-user
    Participant

Hello Everyone:

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

You can go to the Camac website and read about their levers in “The Harpists Guide”.

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

I just realized, Timothy harps is in Canada.

unknown-user
    Participant

Many thanks for the many responses. I looked over the picture of the camac levers (Thank you Zen Sojourner) and I like them.

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

Pavel, since you live in Central America, the shipping issue is probably moot.

unknown-user
    Participant

Pavel, I’ll be glad to send you a sound bite when our harp arrives

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.