unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,516 through 4,530 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: getting regular gigs #167748
    unknown-user
    Participant

    my daughter found a regular gig at a tea room type restaurant They have a dozen tables and are happy to remove one to fit the harp and harpist.Look for upscale places that are looking for soft background music.One other thought,listen to their recorded music and if they include harp music in their selections, there is a good chance that they would go for the real thing.

    in reply to: Any male harpists in here? #165559
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Wow its been a while since I’ve looked through this post! I’m glad there are other people on the realistic side of things. I think it being a illegal for a female to play trumpet is HILARIOUS though! Just the idea of “being sentenced to life in prison on a count of unlawful tumpeting” is a bit silly.

    Well, I’m still playing the harp as seriously as ever! In fact this month I may be taking lessons with the principal harp of the boston symphony orchestra! HOORAY!

    oh well :-)

    in reply to: summer camps #167710
    unknown-user
    Participant

    this may be a little late, but im in the american youth harp ensemble and we hav a harp camp every summer.

    in reply to: Waring Harps…need answers! #68864
    unknown-user
    Participant

    If you use the strings as bowstrings, and buy a goodly supply of arrows, you can defend yourself against the barbarian hordes if they happen to attack while you’re at a gig.

    in reply to: Waring Harps…need answers! #68865
    unknown-user
    Participant

    ….or if you don’t have the right credit card….

    in reply to: Teaching harp in schools #88440
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I would love to hear further experiences about establishing harp programs in the schools.

    in reply to: Was this professional? #89284
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I find this story a bit strange since it is to the teacher’s disadvantage to lose a student. If it would help bring some closure for your daughter, it may be good to approach the teacher and let her know the pain she caused, and see if she can give you an explanation you can pass on that makes it clear it was not your daughter’s fault. I’m certain this teacher doesn’t know that she caused so much pain. It would be helpful for her to know the consequences of her actions in case she repeats them. I know teachers who teach over 100 students a week in my area, and an extremely hectic schedule could result in miscommunication, but it’s really hard to tell what happened here. At any rate it was unfortunate and unprofessional. I hope your daughter can find a reliable, stable teacher who can help rebuild her self esteem!!

    in reply to: reputable student fees #89291
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Oftentimes students do not have a realistic idea about money, so it is up to their teachers to help educate them on what is appropriate to charge. I remember when I was in college I had a job mentoring a high school girl in music and the school district paid me $10 hr. At the time I thought it was a lot of money and worked hard to live up to my high paying employment. When extraneous costs are not an issue, and when there is no awareness of the consequences of undercutting other harpists, students can easily charge inappropriate fees.

    Consumers obtaining the quickest and cheapest product is a business model that will always be present. It’s the reason for hamburgers. As professional musicans we have to work around it by appealing to a select consumer at times. Giving performances and having a presence in the local media (newspaper, radio, a website, etc.) are all ways to establish a reputation that can appeal to the folks who can afford the highest quality options.

    When I started gigging I called my current and former harp teachers about fees and they helped direct me.

    in reply to: Repertoire for recitals #144740
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I think two is a good limit on the number of transcriptions on a program unless you are doing a group of them, or an all-transcriptions program.

    Standard Repertoire Suggestions:

    Faure: Impromptu, Une Chatelaine en sa Tour
    Hindemith: Sonata
    C.P.E.Bach: Sonata
    Spohr: Fantaisie
    Pierne: Impromptu-Caprice
    Handel: Theme and Variations, Concerto, Harmonious Blacksmith
    Roussel: Impromptu
    Glinka: Nocturne, Variations on a theme by Mozart (not as interesting)
    Grandjany: Children’s Corner Suite, Frere Jacques, Divertissement, children at Play
    Salzedo: Ballade, Variations, Five Preludes, Five Etudes, Scintillation, Prelude for a Drama, Preludes for Beginners (includes Chanson dans la Nuit), Sonata for Harp and Piano, Prelude Fatidique, Suite of Eight Dances
    Tal: Intrada
    Maayani: Toccata, Passacaglia, Maqamat, Sonata No. 1
    Britten: Suite
    Hovhaness: Nocturne
    Flothuis: Pour le Tombeau de Orphee
    Prokofiev: Prelude in C, Piece for Harp
    Ippolitov-Ivanov: Nocturne
    Srebotnjak: Five Preludes
    Giuranna: Sonatina
    Roger-Ducasse: Barcarolle
    Dussek: Sonatinas, Sonata in c Minor
    Beethoven: Variations on a Swiss Air
    Rota: Sarabande and Toccata

    Just a starter list to give some examples.

    in reply to: Any male harpists in here? #165556
    unknown-user
    Participant

    As it happens, a very long time ago in Spain, it was _ILLEGAL_ for women to play the trumpet! Fortunately, that frankly stupid law was repealed a long time ago.

    I, too, am a teen (16) male harpist(-to-be). If anyone belittles you about being girly for playing the harp, that’s their problem, not yours. Anyone who would be willing to belittle you about something as silly as that has serious flaws in their logic, and should be burned at the stake. 🙂

    in reply to: Any male harpists in here? #165558
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’ve been playing for about two months now, and not once,
    like the post above me, have I received any negative comments. Girls love the fact that I
    play the harp, the guys think it’s really “different,” but they respect it, and everybody else
    seems to think it’s great. I’m sure there are still a few people out there who think “Oh, the
    harp is girly/gay, what a loser.” But they probably only think that because they don’t have
    the reputation of being “that guy who plays the harp.”

    in reply to: Salzedo versus Grandjany? #166885
    unknown-user
    Participant

    What style does Dan Yu use?

    in reply to: Like the “Star of the County Down”?/pen pal? #167647
    unknown-user
    Participant

    “Ashoken Farewell” is a similiar song in type, but is fairly recent. “Ash Grove”, while not as good, in my opinion, is an example of some very pretty Welsh music.

    in reply to: Harp song using frying pan #167668
    unknown-user
    Participant
    in reply to: Lyon & Healy – Prelude lever harp? #167722
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Brook,

    Thanks for your advice. 🙂 We don’t live anywhere near the Lyon & Healy factory, nor any
    harp dealers, so our only choice (aside from traveling hours upon hours) was to buy/rent
    through the internet. I’ve done a lot of research on both the Troubadour and the Prelude,
    and have found that they are basically the same harp, just constructed differently, and one
    with two more strings.

    We decided to go with the Prelude. My dad purchased a used L&H Prelude (Mahogany)
    from the company, and it should be delivered by tomorrow night. I can’t wait, seriously!
    I’m so excited about it.

    But we didn’t purchase it so lightly. We had them make sure the harp was in excellent
    condition (like they claimed), had everything it was supposed to, and everything else. So,
    after hours of talking on the phone with them, we finally bought it.

    Thanks for your advice, though! I was very, very close to buying a Troubadour V, but we
    decided not to. So, we’ll know how the harp’s turned out by tomorrow, hopefully!

Viewing 15 posts - 4,516 through 4,530 (of 5,570 total)