harpcolumn

how do you handle interruptions graciously while playing

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists how do you handle interruptions graciously while playing

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    David Ice
    Participant

Maybe it’s because we make it look easy!!

Alison
    Participant

I am always happy to break of from playing to explain and answer questions, but some guests try to mow you down and impale you. The very worst guest, was a guy who came over & told me he knew all about the harp and 8 pedals and who stood way too close. When asked to move he went round to stand on the other side,of the harp, again up close and in my line of sight thro’ the strings. He was determined to pluck a string and I particularly dislike the thought of a stranger’s sticky or slightly grubby hands on the harp. When I said not to as his hand encroached he asked why not? I was feeling very angry and worked up inside, so took a breath, calmed down and must have said “okay then” out loud as I was about to continue, at which point he thought he had my approval and reached out again. ‘No, don’t touch the harp”. He persisted “So what would happen if I did ?” and later once home I realised that the punch line for next time, is “well have you ever seen a harpist explode?” After that he stood towering over my stand right in my mental space but that I will not tolerate again.

David Ice
    Participant

Another answer is to ask, “Are you willing to accept liability for damage to my 4$30,000 instrument in the event of damage?

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks so much to all of you for your thoughts on this subject –

John

emily-jaeger
    Participant

I was playing at a mall during Christmas time last year, when all of the sudden a black guy in his early 20s came RUNNING FULL SPEED out of nowhere,

emily-jaeger
    Participant

I had something even worse.

emily-jaeger
    Participant

I’m able to answer questions pretty well and continue to play, but if the person keeps on trying to carry on a conversation, I finally give up, play my current chord as an arpeggio up the harp, and “end” the piece.

andee-craig
    Participant

“I couldn’t believe it when he had the gaul to say to his girlfriend ( out loud), ” It’s amazing what people will actually spend money on”! I was furious.”

What an @ss!! Sorry for the language but ???!!! I bet he’s spent money on all sorts of junk and rubbish like video / computer games, or a flashy car or who-knows-what. Shallow and stupid people, there are so many of them unfortunately.

David Ice
    Participant

I think I would have smiled and said, “Yes, but at least I can create something that young and old appreciate, and can move people to tears…or laughter…or to dance.

Sometimes when they ask me what I paid, I ask them what they paid for their car and then smile.

daniele-di
    Participant

Hi John,

sorry If i go a bit off topic, you can reply via private message if you don`t want to reply here, but may I ask you wich kind of music do you play at the hospital?
    At some point I would like to do exactly what you do, playing in the hospital without doing any kind of harp therapy…the fact is that I almost play only sad song, and I guess they don`t fit quite well in the hospital!

Renee Singlemann
    Participant

I understand your frustration with this.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies