unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,456 through 4,470 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Arpistas Latinos! #166337
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Nos gustaria ,que nuestra hija pasase los proximos,meses de julio y agosto en Peru ,

    in reply to: Salzedo versus Grandjany? #166888
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I?m still a little confuse about what techniche is better than the other, i have learn in the salzedo way but last year i was in italy and i met an italian harpist who said that she has learn the french way but our way of playing was almost identical!!!i think the diferences are only in our heads, a good harpist is only good if he or she is hardworking ,techniches are just a way to understand the instrument, but some rules are make to be broken in some cases, so i don?t see a reason to argue about this.

    in reply to: ahs competition levels #89259
    unknown-user
    Participant

    What if you could join any category you wanted to? Then the value of the prize would be commensurate with your pride and work. I think people would naturally find the right categories where they fit in without humiliation. Thank you for relating your experience with Miss Lawrence. I would also suggest arriving in a foreign country at least a week prior, so if you get sick on the plane, which seems to happen a lot, you have some time to recover. I wish she’d encouraged more people to enter competitions, but some of us seem more special I guess. I seem to remember seeing Jim perform the Flothuis for a ballet company, did that really happen?

    in reply to: ahs competition levels #89260
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144900
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanx

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144901
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I managed to stay out of the Princess Bride barrage and seriously doubt that Britney Spears even reads music but I have to add my voice to the barefoot business!

    My teacher, a wonderful woman named Alice Chalifoux, who knows a thing or two about the harp caught me playing barefoot one day and put an end to that.

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144902
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Who’s Britney Spears?

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144904
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Am I the only one contributing to this thread that didn’t vote for George W.
    Bush?

    PS…I absolutely adore Britney Spears. She’s HOT HOT HOT!

    in reply to: Seeking used Stoney End Eve lap harp for daughter #167682
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Saw your posting today – I’m sure you probably have already found a lap harp for your daughter considering the date of your posting, but on the off chance you have not, I have a used Stoney End Eve lap harp with levers if you are still interested.

    in reply to: Repertoire for recitals #144754
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The whole point is that it is not really good to play candyfloss if you want to taken at all seriously. Patterson’s piece is not bad, but didn’t strike me as great. I’ll give it another look. There’s good music from Dutch composers. The Ibert Scherzetto is a charming piece, but have a look at the first of his six pieces as well. I have a small problem with the Berio, which is that reading the score does not really tell you how to play it. A really curious piece is by Sylvano Bussotti, I think it is called Fragmentations. It has a very large, very colorful graphic score that used to hang on the wall in my first apartment. I do wish someone would commission a solo piece by George Crumb.
    In the old days, when playing a program of twelve pieces, they would arrange them in groups of three, with two easier pieces, then a moderately difficult piece. It seems worth a try. Thank you Julianne for your thoughtful reply.

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144897
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Time to lay down the law. You must practice in shoes 90% of the time, because that’s how you have to perform and rehearse with others. Otherwise, you’ll create mistakes for yourself. I can recommend highly ballroom dance shoes with a cuban heel which gives you great leverage, and the suede soles give you as much pedal sensitivity as bare feet, but with a better grip! And rubber soles and heels give a better and quieter grip and touch than leather. If you want a low heel, get organists shoes which have suede soles. I have the ballroom shoes and the Capezio, which are not good quality leather or a good fit.

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144898
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Saul,

    That’s illogical. The best musicians I’ve ever know are ones who break or
    bend the “rules”. We must live on different planets…I assume your focus is on
    the Classical world and notated music. My focus is being the best I can and to
    be unique. I’ve been in the music / entertainment business for over three
    decades and can tell you that pop culture does not reward those who don’t
    dare to bend the rules. Have you been to a Josh Groban concert and seen the
    barefoot violinist? …very Bohemian.

    (Dictionary: Bohemian –

    in reply to: Complaining neighbours…eek. #167699
    unknown-user
    Participant

    So what happened?

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144896
    unknown-user
    Participant

    This discussion sound like different worlds colliding. The moral to be learned
    is “Don’t play with your slippers tied too tight !! “

    in reply to: megan harp #156289
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Sylvie,
    This harp may not be the best harp in the world but it is good for a beginner. I know many people complainthat there tuning slips but I had a Heather harp for awhile made by the same people and I had to tune that harp about once every three to four weeks. I have to tune my Troubadour IV about every two days. The harps have an okay sound but do not expect something you would hear on a Katrin Finch or Loreena Mckennitt cd. The problems with the levers are easily fixed by loosening them and moving them up or down. When you tune make sure you push in to make the tone hold. The only major drawback I had with my heather was that when I began taking lessons I began to pluck the strings harder then they were meant to be and they buzzed a little. I am a piano player so I tend to play louder than most people. Over all I thinks this will be a good Harp for you to begin on.
    Sean
    P.S. I know you will probably criticize me Zen Sojourner but I was just relating my experience.

Viewing 15 posts - 4,456 through 4,470 (of 5,570 total)