• Participant
    unknown-user on #156287

I took one year harp lessons 14 years ago. My dream has always been
    to play harp again. For Christmas I was offered a 36 strings lever
    Megan harp, that should be arriving by the end of the month. I’d like
    to find out more about Megan harps. Where are they made? Does anybody
    know more about the sound quality? Any other information would be
    welcome. I plan to switch to another harp later on, but does the
    Megan harp make a good practice harp? Thanks.

Participant
    Zen Sojourner on #156288

Is this harp being offered to you for free?

Participant
    unknown-user on #156289

Sylvie,
    This harp may not be the best harp in the world but it is good for a beginner. I know many people complainthat there tuning slips but I had a Heather harp for awhile made by the same people and I had to tune that harp about once every three to four weeks. I have to tune my Troubadour IV about every two days. The harps have an okay sound but do not expect something you would hear on a Katrin Finch or Loreena Mckennitt cd. The problems with the levers are easily fixed by loosening them and moving them up or down. When you tune make sure you push in to make the tone hold. The only major drawback I had with my heather was that when I began taking lessons I began to pluck the strings harder then they were meant to be and they buzzed a little. I am a piano player so I tend to play louder than most people. Over all I thinks this will be a good Harp for you to begin on.
    Sean
    P.S. I know you will probably criticize me Zen Sojourner but I was just relating my experience.

Participant
    unknown-user on #156290

Hi Sylvie! Congratulations on coming back to the harp world.

Participant
    unknown-user on #156291

I have to agree that the Pakistani harps aren’t the greatest, but if you get it really cheap, it could work to learn on.

Participant
    unknown-user on #156292

Sylvie,
    I have a Mid-East harp and love it. BUT, I am an amateur and the harp I have is the Minstrel harp, which is a comsiderably smaller investment than the Megan harp (about $1,000 less). When I move up in the line of harps, I honestly do not know if I would invest again (and more) in a Mid-East harp. I would strongly suggest that you search the internet to see if you can find a harp of superior quality for a similar price figure. If so, great. If not, than I would say that, assuming this is your first harp, you will not be dissapointed with the quality of a Mid-East harp. Not just anyone can make a harp, so there are some minimal standards for every company to follow. I believe that quality expectations rise the more you play a harp. To someone who has been playing gold-leaf pedal harps for 20 years, my harp would be a piece of junk; to me and other ameteurs (Who just want a harp to play and practice on, not win an award for the most quality and beauty in the universe), it’s a priceless possesion and work of art. It all depends on your expectations and what you’re used to (though I still don’t understand anyone calling Mid-East harps crapshots). So, i’m not really in favor or against purchasing the Megan, I just think that deciding what harp to purchase is a major decision-almost like buying a car-that should be weighed carefully and considered so that the end result makes you a happier person. Figure out what you want out of your first harp, and once you find something that fits your needs and expectations, (and you wallet!) go for it! 10 years from now I don’t think my 38″ Minstrel harp will fit my needs; but now? I couldn’t be happier. :-)
    -New Harpist

Participant
    Zen Sojourner on #156293

To “New Harpist”

The reason I say that buying a Mid-East harp is a crapshoot is because
    over 90% of them have problems right out of the crate, and 75% of them
    have SERIOUS problems within the first 2 or 3 years of use.

They do not hold up.

Quality is extremely uneven.

Even the “better” harps are still of low quality.

For the same money or only very slightly more (in a couple of cases,
    actually less), you can buy a real harp from a reliable manufacturer
    who will give you a warranty and will fix any problems that might come
    up.

Participant
    unknown-user on #156294

Could you tell us where you get your statistics from?

Participant
    Zen Sojourner on #156295

About half a dozen in person, and I’ve had e-mails from probably a dozen more people who have owned these, all but one very negative.

Participant
    unknown-user on #156296

Hi everybody,

First of all I want to thank you all so much for contributing to an answer. My Meghan harp is arriving tomorrow, after a long month of waiting.

Participant
    Evangeline Williams on #156297

I’ve played about 3-4 of these harps in the shops.

Participant
    mark-andersen on #156298

I guess it would be safe to stick in my 2 cents here since I do have a lot of experience with
    these harps. I do a lot of harp repair and regulation for my students and many other
    students and harpists in the area. (upstate New York) A year ago one of our local music
    stores decided it would be a good thing to start offering these harps from Mid-East and so
    they bought 12 of them, all Meghans and Allysas, the two largest harps made and
    imported. They sold them at a very attractive price (far less than the retail suggested) and
    the unsuspecting customers have all eventually called me for “service” on these harps. So,
    with 12 of them under my belt I can easily say that: 1. They ALL have a far inferior sound
    which is very “thunky” compaired to

Participant
    unknown-user on #156299

Sylvie,
    How’s it going with your harp? Have you got it yet? Any problems so far?
    -New Harpist

And to Zen –
    My comment about gold-leaf pedal harps wasn’t directed at you, merely making a point. My apologies if you were offeneded.

Participant
    unknown-user on #156300

Hi New Harpist,
    Thanks for inquiring. Sorry it took so long to respond. Yes I got the harp. At first I found it hard to tune. Well, you have to take into consideration that I had not much experience with tuning anyway…As soon as I was finished tuning I had to start over again. I’ve been trying to keep it tuned on a regular basis and now I can practice for lets say half an hour and come back once or twice without having to retune. In other words the harp seems to be stabilizing. That’s great.
    I find the bass cords extending too much, which means that if I play too hard it will buzz. Also, I do have a problem with the levers. If I read the music correctly and try to change the pitch it will sound terrible. Maybe a harp teacher will help. I still have to gather the courage to travel 5hours 1/2 on car and boat and cab with my harp to go see a harp teacher. So for now, I’m just working on getting rid of my rust (music reading, little excercises, simple songs etc…). Any progress is like a real joy.
    Anyway, my thinking is: if I want a better harp, I’ve got to deserve it. Much an much practice to do, but maybe some day?…..Also, this harp was given to me, so no harp would have been worse. Sylvie

Participant
    Zen Sojourner on #156301

Well, Sylvie, all the problems you mention are typical of that manufacturer (unfortunately).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.