unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,276 through 4,290 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Lesson Progress #89153
    unknown-user
    Participant

    For whatever it is worth I am in the same boat with you.

    in reply to: Colleges…..for majoring in Harp Performance #167357
    unknown-user
    Participant

    There are many more good schools, some much better than some you have listed, in my thinking. It depends on what you want and what you are prepared for.

    What is your best repertoire? Are you a junior or senior?
    You should add the Curtis Institute of Music, Ball State University, Boston University, the other Michigan universities, Skidmore College, Temple University, Rutgers or University of Pennsylvania if you want to study with me, San Francisco Conservatory and SF State University, and so many more. Check the ads in the American Harp Journal, and I’m sure there are some directories of college programs with harp majors. Aside from being able to study with Nancy Allen, is Juilliard such an obvious choice? Do you want to be in an atmosphere in which competition is reputed to be the main element? How about art or musicality, or gaining knowledge? Where do you want to be after you finish? What kind of life do you want? These are all part of your decision. Are you going to return home to play and teach? Do you only want an orchestra position (good luck)? Do you love opera or ballet? Are you into popular music, weddings, or entertainment? Since you mention academics, which take a lot of time away from practicing, then you should be looking more at the universities and colleges than the conservatories, unless they are linked with an academic school like Curtis is, and Manhattan School of Music was when I attended there. If you are thinking you may go on to something else like medicine, then you want a different kind of school.
    How far from home do you want to be? Can you have lessons only every two weeks, or do you want them weekly or more?
    I went to Macalester College first, then M.S.M. for my graduate studies. I like that path. I was much better prepared in music history than any of the MSM undergrads, and almost as good in theory and sort of in ear training. I was much more well-rounded and seemed more intelligent for it. But I didn’t get to practice more than three hours a day, and that’s not enough. How important is getting a scholarship? It is pretty important not to have to work to be in school, to have work-study. You want all your time free for practicing and study, and studying is hard to do on top of music, not to mention working.

    in reply to: How to clean guilding #73821
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Many think that it is the gold leaf which is burnished to achieve a high polish, but in actuality it is the bole underneath the leaf which is further compacted, and polished to create the mirror-like finish. The leaf already has the characteristic to shine. I was also referring to ormolu in the true definition of the term. This process was replaced sometime in the 19th. century by gold plating which is the application of gold by electrolysis.

    in reply to: Youth Orchestras #167589
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’m in the Toledo Youth Orchestra!!!! On harp and trumpet!!! It rocks!

    in reply to: Good Teachers #89189
    unknown-user
    Participant

    There is an old Chinese saying that goes something like this,”when the student is ready, the right teacher will appear.” Well, this has recently happened to me, and I have already had my first lesson which was given in great kindness, and with grace. I look forward to learning from my new teacher. I just wish to offer encouragement to those students who are living in rural areas or are having difficulty finding the right teacher…don’t give up… it will happen. All the best, CeCe Nelson

    in reply to: Wahoo! Tanglewood BUTI (once again….) #167553
    unknown-user
    Participant

    GREAT JOB STEVE!!!!!! -liz

    in reply to: Wahoo! Tanglewood BUTI (once again….) #167554
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks every one! Saul your post was very informative. Unfortunately, I can’t ride a bike (isn’t that SAD?) but I’ll be sure to utilize all of your other suggestions. Thanks!

    Arrivederci,

    Steve

    in reply to: Wahoo! Tanglewood BUTI (once again….) #167556
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Yes, yes!!

    in reply to: Building technique #89172
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Julie Smith won 2nd place at the 2004 USA International Harp Competition in Bloomington.

    in reply to: Ginastera Harp Concerto #146033
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The biggest conducting problem I think, from the harpist’s point of view is balance. The percussionists like to think it is a concerto for them, which isn’t helped by the fact that excerpts from it are standard audition repertoire for them. They are not playing solo parts. Ginastera used folk ideas as a part of his orchestral fabric, not as a dominant element. Compare it to pieces like Pampeana No. 3 and the Variaciones Concertantes. When they start whaling away on those tom-toms they make it sound tribal, when it is an elegant, classy concert work for harp. The conductor has to keep a strict lid on their exuberance. I would like to know how the original differs from the published music, and how that affects the third movement in which, to me, the harp part makes little or no sense. I also have trouble with how he uses the harp to imitate a guitar in the beginning of the cadenza, which is the heart and soul of the piece, and while it is a typical musical gesture, he could have easily chosen a different set of intervals that would have said something about the harp.

    in reply to: Ginastera Harp Concerto #146034
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Saul is right about the balance problem.

    in reply to: Future Collage Plans #167267
    unknown-user
    Participant

    There are quite a few Christian Colleges with harp instruction. To name a few, Gordon College near Boston, Luther College in Iowa, Augsburg College and Macalester College in Minneapolis, Eastern University or Villanova near Philadelphia, Manhattan(ville) College in New York, Marymount Manhattan College in New York. If they don’t offer it, it doesn’t mean you can’t arrange for lessons with a teacher. Lots of schools have scholarships, especially Ball State in Indiana. It should help you as an enrichment with any school application. But you need to study with a very good teacher and work hard, and learn a lot of good pieces. A Christian school isn’t the only place where you’ll get a good Religion department.

    in reply to: Wahoo! Tanglewood BUTI (once again….) #167548
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Carl, what the HECK did you say? I Don’t speak French, I only know “au revoir” and other common phrases. I take Spanish in school. Care to translate?

    Adios!

    -Steve

    in reply to: Wahoo! Tanglewood BUTI (once again….) #167549
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Ok, after taking a nice trip to the ever-so-handy http://www.freetranslation.com , I entered in Carl’s text and got the following in excact words: “Dear Steve- has is a question of it 15 years, you have not nothing has to fear.

    in reply to: Wahoo! Tanglewood BUTI (once again….) #167550
    unknown-user
    Participant

    You will probably be in a large dormitory with everyone else, near the main grounds. You want to bring a bicycle, and LOTS of mosquito repellent. You will probably not be allowed to bring electronic equipment , just a portable fan, which you will need. You will want to position it at the foot of your harp when you practice so it blows up the sounding board and cools your head. Otherwise you will sweat all over your harp. It is very hot and humid. There is a beach, so bring a swimsuit. Bring books. There is a good library, music store that may have books. Lenox is expensive. Eating out will not be cheap. We had to get lunch on the grounds, which was very limited in menu. There’s a grocery in town that makes sandwiches. Also a bookstore, maybe a bakery next to it that was incredible. You will need light, cotton clothing, and warm jackets for nighttime, and a blanket for the ground. You will likely be listening to evening concerts from the lawn. I loved the vocal master classes with Phyllis Curtin. Attend the conducting classes if you can. Practice three hours in the morning after breakfast, which will be very early. Go to the grounds for lunch, swim and rehearsals/classes. Practice two more hours before dinner, then it’s concert time. You may be able to play chamber music with other people there. Bring a camera. Too bad you don’t get eight weeks with Miss Lawrence, like we did back in our day. I was there the same summer with Emily Halpern, Carolyn Mills and a lot of other students. Enjoy being in a place where classical music is the most important thing in the world.

Viewing 15 posts - 4,276 through 4,290 (of 5,570 total)