harpcolumn

Future Collage Plans

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Future Collage Plans

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

There are quite a few Christian Colleges with harp instruction. To name a few, Gordon College near Boston, Luther College in Iowa, Augsburg College and Macalester College in Minneapolis, Eastern University or Villanova near Philadelphia, Manhattan(ville) College in New York, Marymount Manhattan College in New York. If they don’t offer it, it doesn’t mean you can’t arrange for lessons with a teacher. Lots of schools have scholarships, especially Ball State in Indiana. It should help you as an enrichment with any school application. But you need to study with a very good teacher and work hard, and learn a lot of good pieces. A Christian school isn’t the only place where you’ll get a good Religion department.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi. I am a beginning harpist and my mom is a little worried about
    the long term advantages. Does anyone know of collages that offer
    harp scolarships? Any of them Christian? Just curious. Thanks!

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

Shennandoah in VA has a good harp program, and is also somehow affiliated with the Methodist church.

Louise, in the 1970’s there were far too many violinists, flutists, and pianists applying for admission and scholarships to my alma mater, and few harpists. The head of the admissions and scholarship committee asked me (a volunteer helping each Spring with auditions in my west coast city) to telephone him collect, if I knew of a high school junior or senior competent harpist interested in applying, as some scholarships for that instrument were unused. The school? Eastman, in upstate New York.

unknown-user
    Participant

From what I have heard, smaller schools tend to give more scholarship money to students who are academically outstanding or have unique talents, and harp is definitely one of those.

S M
    Participant

I haven’t heard of any incident in which harp-playing did NOT help in at least getting into a good college, even if you’re not taking a harp program there.

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks everyone for your relplies. They have helped my mom rest assured that this will come in handy one day. We even started to check out a few websites to see what they expect. Thanks again!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies