harpcolumn

French or Salzedo technique?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists French or Salzedo technique?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I can hear the bomb ticking.

tony-morosco
    Participant

There are a lot of posts on this subject, and it tends to bring out the worst in people. I suggest looking through the older posts and reading what has already been posted.

Getting a new conversation started on the subject will probably not be very productive.

Tacye
    Participant

If the question is which to learn I think the answer is whichever has the better teacher (whom you get on with) in your area.

unknown-user
    Participant

What do you think is better or sounds better?

unknown-user
    Participant

The answer lies in your ears, your mind and your heart. And of course, your fingers.

carl-swanson
    Participant

I can’t stop laughing!

unknown-user
    Participant

oh dear..

unknown-user
    Participant

The way my practice went today, I’d have to say the best technique must be the one I’m not trying to do.

carl-swanson
    Participant

For Pete’s sake!! Doesn’t anyone have the guts to stir up the hornets nest???
    Are we really going to pass up this wonderful opportunity for a real knock-
    down, drag-’em-out brawl??

unknown-user
    Participant

Well, pilgrim, I’ll meet you out front of the saloon, and we’ll see who’s left still standing. . .
    Is that what I get for trying to be sincere?
    It must take a W.A.S.P. (or Lutheran) to be a hornet.
    Besides, what about the Croatian harp technique? And the left-handed back-facing dyslexia technique?

tony-morosco
    Participant

Carl,
    The hornets’ nest has been stirred up more times than we can count.

What more can any of us say that we haven’t said before? None of us has gotten anyone else to budge in their opinions.

Besides, some of those past threads are monuments to our collective stubbornness and orneriness. It’s only right that we should direct people to them so that they can be admired by many.

All I know is that I no desire to repeat myself. I have said what I have to say on the subject, as have most of us. Going through it all again would just be a non-productive use of our time.

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

I think it is best to use the Force when playing.

unknown-user
    Participant

I think the point of studying a method is to reach your individual best. Music is a collective language and the culmination of all who came before us. Learning how they did things gives us something to measure ourselves against and a point of reference for our individual whims and caprices. I know that if I had stayed in Minneapolis and never studied with Lucile Lawrence and Alice Chalifoux, I would be a very mediocre player of limited ability and conception, if I were even still playing. They helped me to dedicate myself, and to be at least a pretty good player. I have built on what they taught me and brought myself up to what I never thought possible for me. I think that is the beauty of good method. A good method is also flexible and accomodating to all interpretative requirements. A great actor is not bound by their method, but supported by it. The ones who are “method” actors are limited in their scope and choice of roles. These forums have helped me to pinpoint my thoughts, so I appreciate the discussions, even if they have been at times unnecessarily contentious. It has certainly been educational. Thank you all.

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

I’m curious….do other instruments have different schools of playing the way harps do?

carl-swanson
    Participant

Evangeline- What

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies