unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,341 through 2,355 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: GUILT TRIP #164042
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I agree with you, Esmeralda, that taking a break from the harp is actually a good thing.

    in reply to: GUILT TRIP #164038
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Interesting how you said that a month away from the harp made you feel so awful…. my mind works the other way round actually…. Twice a year, generally when I really feel that I’v reached my physical and mental limit, I take two whole weeks away from the harp, even if I’m at home, I just tune it in the morning, and that’s it…. And when I return, somehow everything seems to be better… Same goes with piano…

    Kay I don’t really agree with you on the idea of half an hour each… There used to be a time where I used to divide a work in 8 sections, and then study an hour on each section.

    in reply to: Teaching How To Tune #166975
    unknown-user
    Participant

    By the way… I still have to use the stool to tune the 6th octave and lower : )… and don’t try to imagine all the comments I get from my friends at orchestras, or home. : )

    in reply to: Teaching How To Tune #166972
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Regarding my post… I was talking of the coloured stuff you attach to the pegs.

    in reply to: Teaching How To Tune #166971
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’m wondering on this peg thing…. cause its quite a new idea to me…

    When you’ve got pedal harps, you mean you attach them to the back side of the pin, on the right hand side of the harp that is?

    in reply to: Gift For Male Harp Teacher #87123
    unknown-user
    Participant

    For my male teachers, its generally always a Bottle of Scoth Whisky or some fine wine.

    in reply to: Wurlitzer Harp Stake Model #68696
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Patricia,

    I have been curious about this as well!

    in reply to: what do you do when wedding is running late #164056
    unknown-user
    Participant

    From any major musicstore, especially the ones specilising in Violin Music.

    in reply to: what do you do when wedding is running late #164055
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Eh… and Spohr has something like four sonatas I think not just the Cminor…

    If you don’t mind transcriptions (I hate them) there’s also The Swan by Saint-Seans (very easy) and works like Devil’s Trill by Tartini (which gets the devil out the violinist for sure, quite very advanced for the violin, for the harp, maybe just the 2nd movment that might create some trouble with speeds, but I studied it when was considered an intermediate, and handled it quite well after some studying.)

    in reply to: what do you do when wedding is running late #164054
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Two other works might be the Theme and Remembrances from Schindler’s list the violin and piano version.

    in reply to: what do you do when wedding is running late #164053
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Interesting how many people enjoy working with transcriptions mainly…

    Harp and Violin… well… the works I studied (mainly original for the duo)

    1. Albersteotler – Romance
    2. Badings – Cavatina
    3. Boieldieu – Sonata
    4. Damase – Sonate (well Damase is Damase as always)
    5. Galais – Nocturne
    6. Kikta – Sonata
    7. Natra – Music for vln and hp
    8. Paganini – Six sonatas
    9. Roth – Nocturne
    10. Saint-Seans – Fantasie (requires a great violinist, or advanced, for the runs in rehearsal no.4)
    11. Spohr – Sonata in C minor (requires an advanced harpist I would say)
    12. Tournier – Deux Preludes Romantique
    13. Verdalle – Reverie
    in reply to: Dussek – Sonata in C #164069
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Prob, you got mixed up between minor or major cause the third mvmt sets off on Cmajor, and I think ends so too if I remember so.

    in reply to: Recruiting New Students #87163
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I don’t see the reason why so many people are making all this noise regarding hbarpists trying to attract students over this forum, and calling it unethical.

    in reply to: Ethics of advertising #87131
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Here are ten steps used for exploring ethical dilemmas in the helping professions. This could apply to teaching as well because it is at its heart a helping profession. The purpose of these steps is to expand one’s sense of ethics beyond instinct and intuition. This process is intended to remove personal bias and increase objectivity in determining the best course of action for all involved.

    Step 1: Develop ethical
    sensitivity.
    This is our natural instincts and intuition based on values we were raised with. It is that sense that something is not right and needs to be explored.

    Step 2: Clarify facts and
    sociocultural context of the case
    . It is important to respect the different boundaries inherent to each cultlure and context in which an ethical dilemma is presented.

    Step 3: Define the central issues
    and the available options
    . This includes identifying the ethical principle in question: autonomy, non-maleficence, beneficence. Also, exploring every course of action available to the individual.

    Step 4: Refer to professional
    standards and relevant laws/regulations
    . Such literature is not as readily available for artists, but there is information for educators and guidelines in the musicians union.

    Step 5: Search ethics scholarship. This could easily go outside the field of music specifically and into the ethics scholarship itself.

    Step 6: Apply ethical principles to
    the situation
    . Once relevant principles are defined, then how do these apply in the specific context at hand?

    Step 7: Consult with supervisor and
    respected colleagues
    . This step is in part being covered by exploring hypothetical, but representative, issues here on this forum. In some cases this is best done with confidentiality. This is why a network of trusted professionals is so valuable to making good choices.

    Step 8: Deliberate and decide.

    Step 9: Inform supervisor and
    implement and document actions
    . This will be relevent in certain contexts only. There are more contexts in which documenting actions is of value.

    Step 10: Reflect on the experience. This step is especially important because hindsight tends to be 20/20. We can also learn from mistakes as well as from successes. Keeping a journal that recounts how dilemmas are resolved is of great benefit to look back on and analyze in the future. It is also a resource for what decisions proved to be the best course in past situations.

    in reply to: Recruiting New Students #87162
    unknown-user
    Participant

    It could be worth starting a new thread to explore the ethics of advertising online and in other scenarios. It is especially important to demonstrate through reason what types of harm are caused by a particular action, since that is how ethics are determined. This way readers will not just be told that something is unethical, but gain an understanding of the principles behind it. Maybe I’ll venture. :o)

Viewing 15 posts - 2,341 through 2,355 (of 5,570 total)