unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,356 through 2,370 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Recruiting New Students #87161
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I understand the basics of what you are saying, but what if someone comes online asking for a teacher in some particular area? Should they be ignored, or just wait for someone from another state to list a few names? Should a teacher list their own name along with a list of others? Should the potential teacher/performer reply through email only? This site is a little different from some forums because it is structured for people to post in search of performers and teachers. There is an entire Harpists Wanted subforum. How do these issues relate to that specific forum. Maybe the mods or admins could clarify.

    in reply to: Recruiting New Students #87159
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hey Kim,

    I’m not sure all the background on this discussion, but I also don’t see a problem with people who teach harp letting that be known online.

    The bottom line is that students are free, autonomous individuals who have a right to choose to study with whomever they wish. Providing information about a teaching presence aids in that process. Hiding information about one’s availability as a teacher doesn’t make any sense to me. Isn’t the problem with ‘fishing for students’ and such when teachers are making direct contact with individuals who have already chosen a teacher or who may not wish to take lessons? As long as the student’s space is respected (that sense of being free to choose a teacher) then providing factual information about services in public settings seems reasonable enough to me.

    I suppose there could be some issue in a discussion forum of spamming with teaching adverstisements. That is not an ethical issue, but more an issue of public annoyance. There is some call for discussion about teacher availability here I would think, especially in the teaching harp subforoum. There are also sites online devoted to teacher listings where you can submit a blurb and contact info, or link up your professional website. I have consistently received random calls for gigs and students by having such a web presence. Its results tend to be unpredictable and come in spurts.

    in reply to: Double Carreer #87171
    unknown-user
    Participant

    My voice is Soprano… ranging from Middle C to F (2nd octave on harp) on a good day… everyone thought, including my music coach, that it would be a waste to put it away.

    in reply to: Double Carreer #87168
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Sorry I just realised I meant to post this at the Professionals, but never mind… my mistake

    in reply to: Recruiting New Students #87149
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I don’t understand this at all.

    in reply to: Arpistas Latinos! #166418
    unknown-user
    Participant

    hola carolina , soy max de santiago de chile, mi msn es maxi2505@hotmail.com, quizas te puedo ayudar en algo, pogamonos en copntacto , chaus nos vemos

    in reply to: Arpistas Latinos! #166417
    unknown-user
    Participant

    hola a todos, soy max,arpista chileno y deseo conocer mas arpistas latinoamericanos, para intercambiar experiencias e ideas sobre la evolucion que a tenido el arpa latinoamericana, yo estoy trabajando mucho con el arpa en musicas de estilo popular y fusionando el folclore con otras tendencias universales , espero conocer tambien , detalles de los encuentros de arpistas, y asi poder asisitir a conocer y aprender m��s sobre el arpa latinoamericana. saludos desde Chile.

    unknown-user
    Participant

    I don’t know if other’s may view this thesame, but I have noticed that when a begginer harpist wishes to play paino or pianissimo, they pluck the string giving it an initial very small amplitude, whilst when playing forte or fortissimo they almost break the string out of place with the initial amplitude.

    in reply to: Recruiting New Students #87147
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Are you referring to harp majors? or community harp students? For community based students i have found that information at music stores, especially those that sell harps, has proven the most effective for me. Also, having a website presence linked to useful sites attracts all levels.

    in reply to: Viejo Zortzico #166993
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks Zoraida, and thanks Carl. Yeah, I know what

    in reply to: Looking for an instructor in St. Louis, MO #156410
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I highly recommend Terri Langorak.

    in reply to: Recruiting New Students #87142
    unknown-user
    Participant

    And by the way, my first memory of that harpist in the movies was a man.

    in reply to: Recruiting New Students #87141
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Actually, I believe the internet has changed things tremendously.

    in reply to: position advice sought #87174
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Is there any way to play your harp for an experienced harpist? It’s difficult to attempt to answer your question not being able to see the situation. It is likewise difficult for the player to know what is wrong since they can’t see their own form. Have real life feedback from an experienced teacher and/or performer is the quickest path to the right information. :o)

    in reply to: First gig…wish me luck! #164080
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Going to be great. Congratulations and good luck, cool and positive thoughts to you. I love the planets suite. I have always been fond of Holst and Vaughn-Williams and the early 20th ct English, impressionistic composers. (I was born just down the road from Vaughn-Williams’s house. My parents remember him in the neighbourhood) Wishing you all the very best.

    Christine

Viewing 15 posts - 2,356 through 2,370 (of 5,570 total)