harpcolumn

Dussek – Sonata in C

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Dussek – Sonata in C

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Seoid OC
    Participant

A few weeks ago I went to a trad harpers weekend and got totally inspired to learn tunes by ear and to improvise etc….

barbara-brundage
    Participant

The sonatinas can mostly be played on a lever harp just fine. The Sonata in C requires too much compromise, IMHO, to be really feasible.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I should mention that I don’t know about that particular edition of the sonatinas, but the other editions are pretty doable. Kim Robertson also includes one mvt of one of the sonatinas on her “Moonrise’ recording/book.

The Sonatinas and Sonatas are completely different. There are no public domain editions, they have to be purchased from dealers, which supports the publishers so they can publish more music. Many historic pieces are in hard-to-reach libraries in Europe, and it is not so easy to walk in and ask for a photocopy. Plus, they are often very hard to read. There are two editions of the Sonatinas, one by Lawrence, published by Lyra, which is considered standard, and one published in Europe, that is meant to be urtext, but has errors and unstylistic ornamentation. I have both, and will combine them to make my own interpretation the next time I perform the Sonatinas. There are two editions of one Sonata, again one Lyra, and one European. The others have only one edition. There is one that is a transcription of a concerto by Jarnovich by Sophia Dussek, I think, that is completely different. I think the Sonatinas are the most interesting, and the Sonata in C Minor, which I consider to be by Jan Dussek as published. The others vary in interest, are somewhat lighter in style, less

Seoid OC
    Participant

Thanks Barbara and Saul for your answers!

I don’t want to buy Sonata in C if it will be too difficult or change the piece too much to translate to lever harp but I will have

The Lyra edition of Sonatinas is not expensive, and perhaps cheap with the dollar value being so low. There are movements of the Sonatinas that are lever harpable. So are some of the Salzedo Suite of Eight Dances, by the way, if they interest you.

I, too, am interested in some good classical period pieces that can be played on lever harp for a student. I am open to suggestions. I have the Anonymous Variations on a theme of Mozart already, and the Miller and Lawrence transcriptions.

Tacye
    Participant

I have played the slow movement of the C minor sonata on lever harp with lots of fast lever changes.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Tayce- Thankyouthankyouthankyou for referring (correctly) to this sonata as the c minor sonata of Dussek. I was going to point that out earlier but got busy.

Seoid OC
    Participant

Sorry I wasn’t sure if it was Cminor or Cmajor or if there were two different pieces!

carl-swanson
    Participant

Seoid- One of the best advantages to going to harp conferences is the exhibit room. For the duration of the conference you have a harp and harp accessories department store where you can try different makes of harps for as long as you want, and browse through endless boxes of music. If I were you, I’d try to attend some of these events occasionally.

unknown-user
    Participant

Prob, you got mixed up between minor or major cause the third mvmt sets off on Cmajor, and I think ends so too if I remember so.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.