Wurlitzer Harp Stake Model

• Participant
    unknown-user on #68693

I have this harp and know nothing much about it. 46 strings. No. 1073

Who would know about this instrument? selling it, getting it reconditioned, etc.

It is beautiful, extended soundboard, gold gilding

Participant
    john-strand on #68694

patricia-jaeger on #68695

A very small correction: this model is called the Wurlitzer Starke model, after Emil O. Starke. He was in charge of the Wurlitzer harp factory for many years.. Their 1924 catalog, page 12, states: “No regulation even in the slightest degree has ever been found necessary”. Would

Participant
    unknown-user on #68696

Patricia,

I have been curious about this as well!

Participant
    barbara-low on #68697

Thinking out loud, I don’t see how this could have been true. Wood moves from the pressure of the strings so as the board warps up and the neck twists, the harp would need a regulation to get those 1/2 tones back to where they should be, plus take care of those clicks and buzzes that develop along the way.

Participant
    carl-swanson on #68698

Patricia- You’re right about Starke. The whole story is that he was hired away from Lyon & Healy to Wurlitzer when they decided to start making harps. One of his conditions to Wurlitzer was that all Wurlitzer actions have his name on them. Thus the Starke Model. It has nothing at all to do with the model of the instrument as we think of it(size, decoration, etc.). Starke eventually went back to Lyon & Healy, and when he left Wurlitzer his name was no longer included on the action plate.

Starke must have had a laundry list of things he wanted to change about the action when he went to Wurlitzer, and starting a manufacturing concern from scratch allowed him to make those changes. The Wurlitzer action, while based on the original Lyon & Healy patents, has subtle differences that make it work smoother and last longer than the Lyon & Healy action. That is why, when I started Swanson Harp Company, I copied the Wurlitzer action exactly.

Participant
    barbara-low on #68699

But what about the claim that they don’t need regulations?

Participant
    carl-swanson on #68700

Ever heard of advertising copy?

Participant
    unknown-user on #68701

Carl,

This is probably a dumb question, but can a Wurlitzer be regulated by the owner (like a Camac) or would he/she need to be trained as a regulator?

Jerusha

kay-lister on #68702

Carl – I don’t get what you mean about advertising copy.

Participant
    barbara-low on #68703

Yeah…. So you’re saying, “Let the buyer beware” and “If it’s too good to be true, then it ain’t true.”

It is possible to write truthful ad copies, and it may be regulated by law now – truth in advertising and all that.

Participant
    barbara-low on #68704

Jerusha,

Wurlitzers are pretty much like other harps. They should be regulated by a professional if you want the best possible regulation. Also, Camacs do need regulations too. The owner is able to make overmotion corrections, but disk tweaking is again best left to professionals.

Barbara

Participant
    unknown-user on #68705

Barbara,

It’s news to me that the Camac harps still need to be regulated by the pros, given that I’ve heard various people on this forum say that they are designed to be regulated by the owner.

Participant
    amy-walts on #68706

Hi Jerusha. As a former Camac pedal harp owner, I can say that the Camac harps are designed to allow owners to make more minor adjustments to their instruments than ever before, yes, most notably the pedal tension, but the regulations are absolutely still necessary by a professional. The harps come with a “key” type tool to adjust the pedal tension by making adjustments in an area of the column. No instructions or documentation about full regulations are provided to the consumer by Camac, however, so unless you’re a trained regulator, it’s not like you can just leap in and regulate your harp. Even if you are a trained pro, Camacs have some quirks that are different than other harps (like some of the disks rotating in the opposite direction you would expect), so you have to be very knowledgeable about the Camac action in order to make adjustments. I would not recommend that the average Camac owner even attempt it. When I bought my Athena, Camac was not marketing it as a “regulation free” design so much as a harp that would, by virtue of the new design of the frame and action, require *fewer* full regulations and would allow the owner to make some of the simpler adjustments (ie pedals) at home.

Participant
    unknown-user on #68707

Thanks, Amy!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.