unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,311 through 2,325 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Seeking post on “How to learn a piece of music” #164002
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Rod,

    Is this the thread that you are needing?

    practice practice study study but no good result

    Jerusha

    in reply to: Just got me a style 17! How about you? #111858
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Jerusha,

    Why did you sell your Salzedo? How old was it?

    Cheers.

    in reply to: Just got me a style 17! How about you? #111857
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Iorac,

    Sorry for the late response……I only just saw

    in reply to: Just got me a style 17! How about you? #111856
    unknown-user
    Participant

    JP,

    Is this the Salzedo that you’re selling?

    in reply to: Falsedo Method? #87107
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Saul,

    I would love to attend your next festival!

    in reply to: Falsedo Method? #87105
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi,Saul.I was wondering about harp teachers that didn’t learn with Salzedo or Miss Lawrence directly.I understand your point,some people play resembling (excuse me,please)a clothe-hanger (my former teacher was a fine harpist and she feels good doing this way,so ok,no big deal)but Salzedo/Lawrence method is

    in reply to: Ow #164005
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Audrey

    Don’t I understand. My main instrument is accordion/guitar

    in reply to: Go Ahead Without a Teacher? #162982
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I will do my best to find an instructor first . . . thanks so much for all of your time and advice, everyone! Have an awesome day. =)

    in reply to: Go Ahead Without a Teacher? #162981
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Something that hasn’t been mentioned is the choice of a harp.

    in reply to: Vibroacoustic Harp Therapy – Beginner #164035
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Becky,

    I am selling a Thormahlen Cygnet which would make a wonderful therapy harp!

    in reply to: Are Venus Harps as good as Lyon & Healy? #69242
    unknown-user
    Participant

    To all that have read my post from 9/15/02:

    I greatly apologize to all readers and especially Venus Harps for my post in 2002.

    in reply to: Salvi Eire #71991
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thank you all for your interesting input, it has been very helpful.
    I have decided to list the instrument on e-bay this coming weekend.

    in reply to: Harp camps?? #166681
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Sounds like my son.

    in reply to: Teaching How To Tune #166981
    unknown-user
    Participant

    No, dividing the string successively in halves will give octaves at higher and higher pitches.

    Harmonics occur according to the harmonic series – 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5 etc. This will give first an octave above, the fifth above that, another octave, major third above that, another fifth, minor 7th, octave again, and so on.

    I think the physics of music is fascinating…. but that’s just me! In my opinion

    in reply to: Teaching How To Tune #166979
    unknown-user
    Participant

    To answer Diane’s question on the second harmonics…

    The first harmonic is played on the harp by placing the hand half-way up the string, essentially dividing the vibrating length of the string in half, producing a tone one octave higher. The second harmonic is obtained by placing the hand one third of the way up the string, producing a tone an octave and a fifth higher. This can be used to tune the whole harp, circling in fifths (C-G-D-A-E-B-F#).

    However, these fifths are called “pure” or “pythagorian” fifths and are slightly wider than the equal-temperament fifths we use today. (Equal-temperament is the tuning system we use wherby the difference in pitch between each semitone is identical). So to accomodate for this you must tune “slightly under” the second harmonic to ensure all fifths are equally-tempered. This method of tuning is very common among harpsichord tuners. I hope I haven’t confused you any further with that?!

    I was also told by someone that cheap electronic tuners don’t tune to equal-temperament? I don’t think this is true, I think they’re just not as accurate as the expensive ones. Anyone know for sure?

    Niall

Viewing 15 posts - 2,311 through 2,325 (of 5,570 total)