unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,966 through 1,980 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Well, there’s always photography… #111659
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Well,

    in reply to: Jane Austen & Harp #163354
    unknown-user
    Participant

    In those days of yore, there was little, if no distinction between music for harp and piano. Beethoven complained of this and was the first to try to write pianistic music that could not be harp music. Harpists, like many today, would have played anything they could. Bear in mind, also, the tradition of people gathering to play music with whatever instruments they had and playing whichever part they could, so a harpist then may well have been playing string quartets if they were missing a string player. The harp was also a continuo instrument, so they would have accompanied any solo instrument in their sonatas and suites.

    in reply to: Jane Austen & Harp #163353
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I was disappointed to see the harp sitting there, unused, throughout this version of Mansfield Park.

    in reply to: Jane Austen & Harp #163352
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Yes, I also live in the country and certain times of the year are just flat out, mostly around November when ‘Treeing season’ (I.E. the Christmas tree cutting season) is on (A major business around here). You couldn’t hire any menfolk for love nor money, they (men and women both for that matter) are all ‘treeing. And I agree, harps are wonderful, but food and survival does trump.

    My fondest memory of P+P is not with the harps, but with my memories of one of the fellow students in my first year English class. He hated it so passionately, all the Austens’ ladies’ temper tantrums were nothing in comparison to his reaction to the book. I found it quite amusing. The wrath of Achilies to Greece, the direful spring of woes unnumbered was merely a passing breeze compared to his wrath against that book. I enjoyed it well enough.

    in reply to: Harp, belly dancer and fire juggler. #111616
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Of course, you could always play “Air on a G String”…

    Keely

    in reply to: Harp, belly dancer and fire juggler. #111613
    unknown-user
    Participant

    There’s actually a classic belly-dance song which would work great on the harp–but it doesn’t seem to have an official name!

    in reply to: Harp, belly dancer and fire juggler. #111612
    unknown-user
    Participant

    After I stopped laughing, I had to de-lurk to answer this.

    in reply to: graduate music minors? #86889
    unknown-user
    Participant

    That is an excellent idea, and probably will help keep you interested and engaged during the PHD slog.

    in reply to: Humidifier #163319
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I was introduced to the Vornado Vortex

    in reply to: Harp, belly dancer and fire juggler. #111607
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hmmm. I could try that, where is that trench coat and car horn that I had lying about….

    There’s also a tune called Salomina, in Pathfinder for harp (Lawrence), that is kind of exotic and slinky…

    And I thought I better add (before any one gets upset with me) I have nothing against belly dancers…or fire jugglers…just can’t quite figure where I fit in. And this gurl is not a real traditional dancer, which

    in reply to: Harp, belly dancer and fire juggler. #111606
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Lolita le Danseuse (Marcel Tournier)- challenging to say the least, but perfect.

    Harpo would stand, mimic the belly dancer, leer at her, then chase her offstage.

    in reply to: Back problems – can’t lift harp #163601
    unknown-user
    Participant

    We all develop systems along the way. It’d be useful to watch another player, your teacher? next time she loads and/or unloads her harp. As you can do it without actually lifting the full weight of the instrument. As Briggs mentioned above you use the weight and balance of the instrument itself, and as also said, you get to gauge the distance you need to be from the back of your car.

    It’s hard to describe, but my system involves a

    in reply to: How do you cover your harp when transporting it? #163608
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi SS,

    I have a transport cover set, the Salvi one, that I use for both my 17 and my 100. I bought it when I bought my Salvi, and find it works fine for those two models..

    I used to not always use the base cover protector, like the poster above, I’d just use a square of carpet..but on a

    in reply to: How do you cover your harp when transporting it? #163607
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks Karen. I can see that buying the Transport set is a good idea. I too, use an old carpet when loading and unloading. It’s important to keep the bottom clean and dry too. I know what you

    in reply to: Just one? #163620
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Kay,

    Yes, I have just one. But I must agree with my good friend Lydia, although I want a pedal harp very badly, I love my lever harp. I have had often considered trading or selling it but, I don’t think that I could bring myself to do it! I have a Musicmakers Gothic 31. My brother built if for me five years ago. Since then, it had developed a beautiful sound.

    My dream harp? Lydia and I

Viewing 15 posts - 1,966 through 1,980 (of 5,570 total)