unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,951 through 1,965 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Tight Hands?? #166849
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Curly-
    Great advice! I can see how the warm ups and the cool downs will help. I guess when my hands are cold they do that too! As I was practicing today, I tried relaxing. My left hand was very relaxed, but my right hand kept getting more tense and tight. Do you think because I am left handed and do almost everything with my left hand my right hand is tense?

    in reply to: Tight Hands?? #166847
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Emily,

    I found this when I first switched from piano to harp. You may also be getting very muscular hands from loads of practise from difficult repertoire. I found a similar thing happen to me, as I advanced quickly, and my hands became tight and the muscles “thick”. If that makes sense. Tension has a habit of creating more tension as well, and if you do not relax the muscles they thicken and become stiff…and become harder to relax.

    I found making sure that my hands were warm (if your hands are tense, they may also be cold…) and concentrating on alternating exercises..not playing the same ones over and over and choosing ones that balance. I also alternate any strength work, with quiet and

    in reply to: Salzedo versus Grandjany? #166907
    unknown-user
    Participant

    How can you tell which technique you are using?

    in reply to: Tight Hands?? #166845
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Elizabeth & Briggsie-
    Thank you for the advice.

    in reply to: confused.. #166920
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I started playing piano before harp and learning to sight read and learn the music REALLY helped with harp. I suggest to try harp and see if you like it. If you don’t, you can always go back to piano.

    in reply to: How Much $? #163534
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The Salvi Daphne I just got came with the tuning key and dust cover, as well as a side cutter for the bass wires (a quite good quality German-made one too), three spare rubber pedal tip covers and a “leatherette” drawstring pouch to put everything in.

    in reply to: Harp Sighting — Old Movie #111642
    unknown-user
    Participant

    How many times is it the same old harp they dragged out of the prop room?

    in reply to: ? for the young from the not so young #166703
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I

    in reply to: Harp, belly dancer and fire juggler. #111628
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks Carolyn,

    Yes, I know not all you bellywood gurls are not unreliable! I think its a Tasmanian thing, some people just seem to work on “island time”.

    I did see a connection – in that context – of belly dancer and harpists. It was a womens association, honouring women in rural communities. And both are considered

    in reply to: Harp, belly dancer and fire juggler. #111627
    unknown-user
    Participant

    ..now I wish you had have told me that before the gig! I could have ripped into the Nutcracker cadenza as she

    in reply to: How Much $? #163529
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Kay,

    I have the old commemorative catalogue from 1899 that L&H reproduced…and they list a style 22, in gold, with extended board as $1000. Not much of an increase by 1917 considering! The size was 69 inches, 45 strings, and with the new extended board.

    The style 25 with extended board, 47 strings in gold, was $1,375. It was a gothic one that kind of looks like a simpler version of the 26 – which is around $69,000.

    in reply to: Harp, belly dancer and fire juggler. #111622
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Ro –

    I’m so glad it went well.

    in reply to: Harp, belly dancer and fire juggler. #111621
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Ken,

    Good of you to check in with me! Hope you are well!

    Well, firstly, I took John’s advice and put my foot down about the times…insisted that I have a firm start and finish time as said I had another engagement in the evening…which was a fib, but thought it necessary. They agreed to have me for an hour and a half before the dancer arrived.. which seemed more logical. So, I did not play in her breaks. And when she arrived I was so glad that I had done this, as she seemed to have an immensley flexible idea to times…arrived late, was not ready to perform, and 20 minutes later when I’d packed up the harp and said my thankyous and goodbyes, she was still not ready to perform, drinking champers and socialising….hmmmm. I would have been playing for hours extra!

    They must have realised I was a bit cranky, as they paid me on arrival without a problem. And were attentive, made sure I had water, and kept offering me food in my breaks. Really lovely older women that had lived a life on the land. I was playing a selection of classics, when one woman came up to me in the middle of Clair de lune and said in a loud voice “you don’t just play classical do ya??” And I stopped and said no, I played jazz standards and some folk. And she said in determined

    in reply to: Harp, belly dancer and fire juggler. #111619
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Well, before you think my life more interesting than it is…. I do plenty of boring and/or ordinary gigs, but do not feel the need to gossip about it online. Try to only bring up the more interesting ones that

    in reply to: Harp, belly dancer and fire juggler. #111618
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Carolyn,

    Ha ha ha ha! Duelling dancers….owww that sounds like a worry, the upstaging male stripper. I would have beat a

Viewing 15 posts - 1,951 through 1,965 (of 5,570 total)