unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,936 through 1,950 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Choosing first harp #163457
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Wow!

    in reply to: Choosing first harp #163456
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hello, Briggsie – thanks for your comments.

    in reply to: Choosing first harp #163454
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thank you, Christine, for your comments and insight, and especially for your graceful good wishes.

    in reply to: Broken string help #111592
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’d say that 2nd A would be a better match, until the B arrives. D might be too loose and twangey.

    What model Camac do you

    in reply to: Choosing first harp #163452
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Dear Marcia

    I would reccomend a Ravenna 26, which should do everything you need, and is one that most rental people have. Classical can have some problems with accidentals in the score

    in reply to: Choosing first harp #163451
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks for the lead.

    in reply to: Salzedo versus Grandjany? #166908
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Maybe a Youtube posting of some Salzedo techniques vs Grandjany would help us newbies really see what it’s all about (I don’t really understand “crisp wrists” or even exactly what raising is either).

    in reply to: A pain in the neck #161373
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks and warm regards to everybody for the info. I will check into it, probably my height may be an issue, where the Troub is tall, and, although I am 5’4, (high-medium) my torso is short for my legs.

    Again, many thanks

    Christine

    in reply to: Harp, belly dancer and fire juggler. #111630
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Cheryl,

    Thanks for that! I’m glad that the Raks Sharki dancers of the world are not cross with me for being cheeky! When you say Salzedo’s Night Breeze, I assume you mean from his short stories in music? I did consider his Salomina from the Pathfinder,

    in reply to: How Much $? #163535
    unknown-user
    Participant

    It is not harp related per-se but I just had a lovely old English banjo come in the shop. A model like this one cost over six pounds in the 30s. My father worked with the health service ten+ years later and made only a pound a week, (just post-war) and yet, lived fairly well on that. To fork out six pounds on an instrument would have been a staggering indulgence (six weeks pay, or about $3,200. in today’s money), so much more so for a less well-paid person. Today, one can buy a quite good beginners’ banjo (not as good quality as this one, but eminently playable) for under $500, but many people make that or far more in a week (not me).

    My first bass guitar was an Ibanez bought in the early 80s and cost about $400. (plus $65 for a case). A good beginners’ bass costs much less today, all the more when one factors in the depreciation of the dollar.

    It is, I feel, much cheaper to buy musical gear today, at least for the lower end instruments. Good ones will always cost, but you buy a L+H harp, or a Taylor guitar, you’ve got something great. Nothing great is cheap, nothing cheap is great.

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145209
    unknown-user
    Participant

    We’ve been looking for something better on gas AND something good for driving to college.

    unknown-user
    Participant

    Well, congratulations – your trial by fire is done and you have survived – the next one will be a piece of cake!!! – – -good job!! 🙂

    in reply to: Tight Hands?? #166852
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Ahhhh! That is useful information, that you are left handed.

    in reply to: Tight Hands?? #166851
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Or hot packs, you know, the ones that have sand or grains in them and you heat them in the microwave? I’ve seen soloists hanging onto them before they go on stages too. Keeps the muscles warm and relaxed.

    in reply to: Tight Hands?? #166850
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Carl-
    I see your point. In everything. Maybe tense would be a better word. Yes, my hands are tense. So is the pressure building up in my wrists after time just from being really tense? Thank you so much for the great advice. I’m really young and inexperienced, so advice means a lot to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,936 through 1,950 (of 5,570 total)