harpcolumn

Broken string help

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Broken string help

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Josiah hahaha
    Participant

So i just returned home today to find two broken strings on the harp. I had a new string for my first octave g, but I did not have my string for my second octave b. Would a second octave d work as well as a second octave b string.

PS this is on my camac pedal harp

thanks

I wouldn’t do that. Just order another string and have it shipped overnight.

unknown-user
    Participant

I’d say that 2nd A would be a better match, until the B arrives. D might be too loose and twangey.

What model Camac do you

Josiah hahaha
    Participant

Well I already changed it and it seems fine. I guess I will have to wait and see what happens. I have a Camac Atlantide Prestige

Josiah, broken strings will happen, so you really need to have spares on hand, but not necessarily the whole set. Order all octaves of

Fairy Reel
    Participant

Love it! Cool! My mom has been freaking out about what spares we should order. Usually my C’s, D’s and F’s break. Good to know!

unknown-user
    Participant

If you leave a broken string unreplaced for even a day, you risk having the adjacent string break from increased strain. This is not well-known, but proven by experience. It is usually best to use the string one note lower if necessary. I always save usable strings after taking them off for emergency replacements. I recommend doing so. If your C’s and F’s break consistently, and sooner than the other strings, there is something wrong with your harp, probably a mechanical adjustment of some kind that is needed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.