Tacye

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,411 through 1,425 (of 1,469 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Repertoire that is too difficult for the student!!! #88967
    Tacye
    Participant

    I think there are two different points to your post- the first being students playing music above their technical ability, and the second being your definition of too difficult.

    More than students learning some pieces beyond their current technical ability what astonishes me is the student, or their teacher, choosing those peices for a masterclass.

    in reply to: Salzedo’s own technique #82485
    Tacye
    Participant

    One point this thread, and similar ones, has caused me to consider is the ways that harp technique as taught to beginners is different from that used by a seasoned player.

    in reply to: Getting blisters on fingers #155517
    Tacye
    Participant

    If I suddenly play more or harder than I have for a while I tend to get blisters.

    in reply to: French or Salzedo technique? #167329
    Tacye
    Participant

    If the question is which to learn I think the answer is whichever has the better teacher (whom you get on with) in your area.

    in reply to: Fourth finger slipping #167288
    Tacye
    Participant

    The problem is there are different right ways to play the harp and while to a fair extent you can ‘pick and mix’ some things mix better than others.

    in reply to: Ok guys, opinions on Camac? #165666
    Tacye
    Participant

    Urgh- please!

    in reply to: Ok guys, opinions on Camac? #165656
    Tacye
    Participant

    I am not sure I would divide harpists and harpists.

    in reply to: Double harp concertos? #166051
    Tacye
    Participant

    Parish Alvars concertino for two harps or harp and piano has been recorded (Marielle Nordmann and piano) as has Tros y Gareg (Over the Stone, nice tune- features in John Thomas’ harp duet Cambria too) by Karl Jenkins comissioned by Prince Charles (see he is useful!) for Catrin Finch and played with Eleanor Bennett.

    There was also a jazzy thing for two electric harps (well 4 actually as they played baby ones and pedal ones) I heard at the WHC in Prague.

    in reply to: Ok guys, opinions on Camac? #165645
    Tacye
    Participant

    Steven- it isn’t just time, like playing the instrument moving it easily requires doing it right, which can be learnt.

    in reply to: Ok guys, opinions on Camac? #165641
    Tacye
    Participant

    What this topic makes me wonder is why many people have so much trouble moving a CG?

    in reply to: Schools of Thought in Harp Technique? #89130
    Tacye
    Participant

    Surely one of the strengths of individual (or small group) tuition is the ability of the teacher to respond to the students and not push different people through the same method book or curriculum?

    in reply to: Youth Orchestras #167561
    Tacye
    Participant

    The best thing you can do is talk to the director or conductor- harpists are few enough that I got into my youth orchestras without audition, just a word from my teacher that I was at an adequate standard.

    in reply to: Youth Orchestras #167563
    Tacye
    Participant

    S M — you say elsewhere that you are looking into getting lessons from a good pedal harp teacher.

    in reply to: Mideast Harps #68273
    Tacye
    Participant

    Inferior- ‘of low(er) quality’

    in reply to: What is memorization to you? #89064
    Tacye
    Participant

    If you use si for the 7th note, what do you use for sol sharp?

    One of my less rigorous tools for memorising is to just rely on the fact that my brain is lazy- if I put my music half way across the room or on the floor so I can read it, but it is a nuisance, I will look at it less and less until I can dispense with it entirely.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,411 through 1,425 (of 1,469 total)