harpcolumn

Youth Orchestras

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Youth Orchestras

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 19 years ago by S M.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    S M
    Participant

I’d like to get into our local youth orchestra, but I don’t know
    what kind of songs to use to audition and, since I don’t have a
    pedal harp YET, how long it would take me to adjust myself to using
    pedals well.

unknown-user
    Participant

Funny you should mention being in an orhestra without a pedal harp. My first orchestral encounter was about 4 and a half years ago. I auditioned for a summer youth orchestra (on lever harp) and got in. I brought my harp to the first rehearsal, all excited, and to my great disfortune, I found a huge pedal harp in the rehearsal room. My first thought was “what the hell am I supposed to do with this thing?” but after a week, I learned how to use the pedals. It very easy, the only thing you have to memorize is the order of the pedals: DCB EFGA , and after you do that, it’s all very very simple. Pedals are a LOT easier than levers, so the hard part is over!

Tacye
    Participant

The best thing you can do is talk to the director or conductor- harpists are few enough that I got into my youth orchestras without audition, just a word from my teacher that I was at an adequate standard.

S M
    Participant

Oh GOOD! I thought it would take me a lot longer to get the hang of using pedals.

Do you need to have your own pedal harp or a rented one usually?

Tacye
    Participant

S M — you say elsewhere that you are looking into getting lessons from a good pedal harp teacher.

S M
    Participant

All right, I’ll do that!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies