• Participant
    S M on #167559

I’d like to get into our local youth orchestra, but I don’t know
    what kind of songs to use to audition and, since I don’t have a
    pedal harp YET, how long it would take me to adjust myself to using
    pedals well.

Participant
    unknown-user on #167560

Funny you should mention being in an orhestra without a pedal harp. My first orchestral encounter was about 4 and a half years ago. I auditioned for a summer youth orchestra (on lever harp) and got in. I brought my harp to the first rehearsal, all excited, and to my great disfortune, I found a huge pedal harp in the rehearsal room. My first thought was “what the hell am I supposed to do with this thing?” but after a week, I learned how to use the pedals. It very easy, the only thing you have to memorize is the order of the pedals: DCB EFGA , and after you do that, it’s all very very simple. Pedals are a LOT easier than levers, so the hard part is over!

Participant
    Tacye on #167561

The best thing you can do is talk to the director or conductor- harpists are few enough that I got into my youth orchestras without audition, just a word from my teacher that I was at an adequate standard.

Participant
    S M on #167562

Oh GOOD! I thought it would take me a lot longer to get the hang of using pedals.

Do you need to have your own pedal harp or a rented one usually?

Participant
    Tacye on #167563

S M — you say elsewhere that you are looking into getting lessons from a good pedal harp teacher.

Participant
    S M on #167564

All right, I’ll do that!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.