harpcolumn

Salzedo’s own technique

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Salzedo’s own technique

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

As I believe I have said before, Carl’s challenges, though perhaps not his intention, inspire me to some of my best writing, force me to coagulate my thoughts which will be of great use later on, and have prompted some very supportive responses. There’s nothing wrong with debating ideas. One of the problems of amalgamated playing is the lack of coherent ideas. The harp is not like other instruments. It is so challenging that a mere handful of harpists have ever had the vision to create something approaching a school of playing, and been able to encompass all the harp and its literature requires. We are all building on the knowledge of others. The more time you spend with a teacher, the more you learn. The more teachers you have the less you learn because you spend so much less time with each one. I know a harpist who studied with Lucile Lawrence and previously one of her protegees. She was polished, strong and brilliant, and went on to study a little with many other people. She didn’t noticably improve from any of them, and today still plays pretty much like she did when she finished her studies with Miss Lawrence.

Frankly, I think I would like to pose some tough questions to other harpists about the way they play and why they do it, but it is unfortunate if in this society that only gets one in trouble. We are supposed to have free speech and open debate about the core issues, not just pretend to be everyone’s friend and make nice. We should all talk more about our ethics, how we treat colleagues and fellow students, how we intend to get ahead and so on. We’ll all be better for it, I hope. But I think you are right, that it should be done without meanness.

Tacye
    Participant

One point this thread, and similar ones, has caused me to consider is the ways that harp technique as taught to beginners is different from that used by a seasoned player.

unknown-user
    Participant

Tacye, your “twinkle” example is interesting because that’s one of the first songs I learned to play on the harp.

unknown-user
    Participant

I know of one Salzedo-trained harpist in England, at least, Catherine White. I don’t know where she is now, she used to be south of London. It would be interesting for you to order a copy of Lucile Lawrence’s videotape of the Salzedo Method, in which all the Preludes for Beginners are performed, and she demonstrates all of his special tone colors. It is quite remarkable. I would say that fluidity is my goal. It did take at least ten years to get it. You’re exactly right in your example. It could be phrased 1 12 23 34, or 22 22 234 and so on. When you’re advanced you have many more choices than the easiest fingering if you’re not lazy or rushed for time.

unknown-user
    Participant

I considered myself very fortunate to have had only three teachers and all were

tremendous from different perspectives.

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

The German School…is that a different technique/disciple from French and Salzedo?

carl-swanson
    Participant

Jim- I didn’t know that about Lucy Lewis.

unknown-user
    Participant

The German school produced some great harpists.

J P
    Participant

I know you said it’s hard to explain in an email James but i’m curious about this ‘silent’ pedal technique.

alexander-rider
    Participant

Jim a while ago I came across some stuff about/by/belonging to Lucy Lewis in its Library archive, some of which is published on the web.

unknown-user
    Participant

It’s pretty simple really, you have your heel on the floor and the ball of your foot on the pedal, you press down firmly but not far enough to hit the notch, and you pivot on your heel and gently but quickly slide the pedal into the corner. Don’t press it down farther and release it up, it will bang. It takes practice and a good pair of oxfords.

unknown-user
    Participant

Actually the pedal technique she taught me was different.

unknown-user
    Participant

It’s the same method, that’s the first step, then eliminating the noise comes.

janet-king
    Participant

Hmmm…

J P
    Participant

Janet:

I love your sense of humor!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies