Tacye

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 1,469 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Sudden pedal click! HELP! #221015
    Tacye
    Participant

    Have you had a look in the base while moving the pedal to see if anything is touching?

    The click I once had in the base was solved by a technician adjusting the bit of cloth packed into the bottom of the column.

    in reply to: Daphne EX or Chicago CG? Please help! #220827
    Tacye
    Participant

    Professional performers move their harps more than most students.

    in reply to: Daphne EX or Chicago CG? Please help! #220821
    Tacye
    Participant

    Are you in the UK? If so, are you eligible to get it without VAT?

    https://www.morleyharps.co.uk/assisted-purchase

    in reply to: Lever harp stand #220610
    Tacye
    Participant

    Have you asked Dusty Strings if they can provide longer legs for the stand you have?

    in reply to: Broken String :( #220145
    Tacye
    Participant

    Strings do that. With all the moving and weather you describe I would not be surprised if it had lost more than one. Your glissando will not be to blame.

    I suggest you keep a list of which strings break, when, where on the string and anything notable about the climate so you know how your harp strings are behaving themselves over time.

    in reply to: Unstringing/restringing entire L&H23 #220089
    Tacye
    Participant

    Be extra careful moving the harp with no tension or very little. It is the tension of the strings that holds the neck onto the body at the shoulder (and pegs to stop side to side motion).

    in reply to: Wire harp conversion to nylon/gut? #220075
    Tacye
    Participant

    Have you thought about trying these sort of things? I would probably opt for plastic over metal as you don’t have steel strings.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alaska-Pick-Guitar-Banjo-Finger-Pick-Only-Pay-One-P-P-Each-Additional-Free-P-P-/260834596531

    in reply to: Wire harp conversion to nylon/gut? #220058
    Tacye
    Participant

    What sort of wire and wire harp? Can you ask the maker if anyone is known to have tried this? I have put brass on a nylon harp increasing the tension considerably, so the other way should be kinder to the harp. But it won’t be the harp you know and love, it will sound and feel quite different – maybe you will like it, maybe not. It will probably not be as nice as something designed for the strings it has. With nylon or gut it will probably want a much higher sounding pitch.

    What is small about the tuning pins? The hole?

    in reply to: Unusual Harp Harmonic Notation #219952
    Tacye
    Participant

    Yes it is possible to play the top note as a harmonic and stick a finger or fingers out underneath to play natural notes, but I have never come across this outside solo works composed by harpists. It is an advanced technique, and those are high strings for harmonics.

    Personally, my starting point in bar 174 etc would be taking one more note into the left hand (probably both, if a slow arpeggiation is wanted). That won’t work in bar 179 and the stretch would be too big for my right hand. I would probably not make all the notes in the end and drop at least the RH natural pitch E which is at the same pitch as the LH harmonic E. Realistically, I would probably drop more notes, or revoice the chords depending on audibility.

    The other option I can theoretically see for the last two chords would be to use the second harmonic on the F(b) string, instead of the 1st on the C, but I think I have only once used a 2nd harmonic in performance and would not be confident about getting it to sound, and there is a risk of audibly playing the Fb which is not in the chord.

    in reply to: Unusual Harp Harmonic Notation #219927
    Tacye
    Participant

    Do you have any more indication of the character of the work, and specifically arpeggiation? How much else is going on in the orchestration so is pp a solo harp pp or matching the rest of the orchestra on their pp?

    in reply to: Warming up your body BEFORE PLAYING #219384
    Tacye
    Participant

    A physical warm up is really useful if you can’t warm up at the harp as you would like to, for instance when playing towards the end of a concert.

    For long sessions at the harp, my shoulders are the most likely to complain. I have become fond of indian club swinging and find it really helps to use them as a warm up if I am faced with a long rehearsal, especially in a cold environment, and afterwards too depending on how my shoulders feel.

    in reply to: where do pedal harps go when they die? #217930
    Tacye
    Participant

    It takes a lot to make a harp not worth repairing or rebuilding. A corroded mechanism can do it, or all the wood gone with woodworm. This is an example of a harp that needs rebuilding around its mechanism:
    https://www.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/Catalogues/mi140618/lot0766.html

    How were you thinking of removing the bottom octave from an action? They need the main action block at the top of the column/base of the mechanism.

    in reply to: Music for Harp & Strings #216454
    Tacye
    Participant

    Have you seen this similar thread with a few suggestions/resources?

    String Orchestra and Harp Repetoir

    • This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Tacye.
    in reply to: String gauges for Pilgrim Ashdown #216227
    Tacye
    Participant
    in reply to: Harp composition competitions #215759
    Tacye
    Participant

    Saul, I think you must not be aware that Mark Palkovic has published harp music bibliographies. I think three volumes now, though I only have the solo and ensemble one.
    Chamber and concerti:
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=BB0KAQAAMAAJ&hl=pt-BR&source=gbs_similarbooks
    Solo and ensemble:
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ohwKAQAAMAAJ&hl=pt-BR&source=gbs_similarbooks
    Supplement:
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=gBwKAQAAMAAJ&hl=pt-BR&source=gbs_similarbooks

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 1,469 total)