harpcolumn

Broken String 🙁

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Broken String 🙁

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    hattie
    Participant

Hi!

I just bought my first pedal
    Harp which arrived last Thursday – a second hand but not heavily played L&H 85P. Today I noticed 0D was way more out of tune than the other strings. I retuned, did a glissando and it snapped. The harp was regulated 2 weeks ago and has brand new strings; now I’m scared to keep playing in case another one goes. Is it common for brand new strings to break so easily? I have only had it 8 days and not played anything particularly hardcore – I’m guessing the combination of the shipping to NYC from Virginia in the recent heat, the general humidity and a bit of bad luck is what’s to blame, but I’m new to this and need some hand holding!

Thank you 🙂 Hattie

Tacye
    Participant

Strings do that. With all the moving and weather you describe I would not be surprised if it had lost more than one. Your glissando will not be to blame.

I suggest you keep a list of which strings break, when, where on the string and anything notable about the climate so you know how your harp strings are behaving themselves over time.

That is not a very long string life! Make sure you have it tuned to the standard for instrument tuning. It is now A=440. If you happen to have it, or
    all of them, tuned a step or so higher, that will put undue pressure on the strings and they will break.

If it were an expensive string, I’d contact the seller and talk about getting a replacement, as that is a very very short string life. Gut strings, at least a year or so is to be expected.

pluck
    Participant

I had my 85CG regulated and restrung last month after not being played for quite some time. I’ve had to change 2 broken strings so far. One in each of the first and third octaves. I also changed a false second octave string out. I’m not concerned about it unless I see some type of pattern. In addition to the advice already given, my advice is to keep the temperature and humidity as constant as you can. If you don’t have a thermometer/hygrometer combo yet, I recommend one. It’s recommended to have the temperature as close to 70 degrees as possible with humidity around between 40-60% depending on location, but aiming for 50%. My harp tech says if you are comfortable then so is your harp.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.