Broken String :(

• Participant
    hattie on #220137

Hi!

I just bought my first pedal
    Harp which arrived last Thursday – a second hand but not heavily played L&H 85P. Today I noticed 0D was way more out of tune than the other strings. I retuned, did a glissando and it snapped. The harp was regulated 2 weeks ago and has brand new strings; now I’m scared to keep playing in case another one goes. Is it common for brand new strings to break so easily? I have only had it 8 days and not played anything particularly hardcore – I’m guessing the combination of the shipping to NYC from Virginia in the recent heat, the general humidity and a bit of bad luck is what’s to blame, but I’m new to this and need some hand holding!

Thank you 🙂 Hattie

Participant
    Tacye on #220145

Strings do that. With all the moving and weather you describe I would not be surprised if it had lost more than one. Your glissando will not be to blame.

I suggest you keep a list of which strings break, when, where on the string and anything notable about the climate so you know how your harp strings are behaving themselves over time.

Participant
    cjstandish@hotmail.com on #222408

That is not a very long string life! Make sure you have it tuned to the standard for instrument tuning. It is now A=440. If you happen to have it, or
    all of them, tuned a step or so higher, that will put undue pressure on the strings and they will break.

If it were an expensive string, I’d contact the seller and talk about getting a replacement, as that is a very very short string life. Gut strings, at least a year or so is to be expected.

Participant
    pluck on #222415

I had my 85CG regulated and restrung last month after not being played for quite some time. I’ve had to change 2 broken strings so far. One in each of the first and third octaves. I also changed a false second octave string out. I’m not concerned about it unless I see some type of pattern. In addition to the advice already given, my advice is to keep the temperature and humidity as constant as you can. If you don’t have a thermometer/hygrometer combo yet, I recommend one. It’s recommended to have the temperature as close to 70 degrees as possible with humidity around between 40-60% depending on location, but aiming for 50%. My harp tech says if you are comfortable then so is your harp.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.