harpcolumn

Music for Harp & Strings

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Music for Harp & Strings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    chauret
    Participant

Hello. I am a conductor and I am searching for repertoire for either Harp & String Orchestra or Harp & String Quartet. Other than the usual suspects, I’m not having much luck. Any good suggestions out there??

MusikFind1
    Participant

Some of the titles on this AHS list are with String Orchestra.
    http://www.harpsociety.org/pdfs/about/programs/Harped_project.pdf

Do you want only Harp solo with strings?

chauret
    Participant

That list is very helpful. Thanks! I’m ideally looking for music where harp is an equal part of the ensemble. (i.e. not a harp concerto) I’m having a really hard time finding quality literature. Any other suggestions are appreciated!

paul-knoke
    Participant

There’s the P. J. Meyer Sonata for harp and string quartet, available through the Historical Harp Society:

Contact

Tacye
    Participant

Have you seen this similar thread with a few suggestions/resources?

String Orchestra and Harp Repetoir

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Tacye.
    Gretchen Cover
    Participant

If you go on youtube, there is a lifetime of ideas and music. One of my favorites is Romance nr 1 for harp and cello by Johann Strauss. Very short but what a fantastic work.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Marcel Tournier wrote string quartet parts to some of his images and they are just wonderful. Erica Goodman made a recording of them years ago. You might listen to some of them.

erin-wood
    Participant

What level are you looking for? I can email you some resources if you can get me your email address.

chauret
    Participant

Hi Erin. I’m ideally looking for music where harp is an equal part of the ensemble. (i.e. not a harp concerto). My harp player is a very talented student. Given the time, she can play most anything. The strings are at an advanced amateur level (hope that makes sense). They tend to do best with the technical demands of late classical/early romantic rep. Thanks for your help!!

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Fantasía On Greensleeves, Ralph Vaughn Williams, arr. Greaves (need a flutist)

Processional, McDonald/Woods (available Vanderbilt Music, can be played with just strings, harp)

Concerto in D, Vivaldi, arr. Kathy Bundock Moore (Don’t let concerto scare you off. Parts equally divided. Listen to a YouTube clip and then decide.)

In the Company of Angels, William Hofeldt

Ashokan Farewell, Jay Unger, arr. Cerulli (score has other instruments but can be performed with harp/strings) Note: You can pair this with The Lover’s Waltz by Unger. Orchestra version and arr. for two violins/piano.

Five Variants and Dives on Lazarus, Ralph Vaughn Williams (much more advanced than other music above)

MusikFind1
    Participant

A NIEWEG Chart: Harp with Strings has now been posted on SOLC – Symphony Orchestra Library Center. http://www.orchestralibrary.com/ Under the Nieweg Charts. In response to a request on Harp Column, this 17 page chart has research about details for works that have been recommended by harpists and conductors.

http://www.orchestralibrary.com/Nieweg%20Charts/Harp%20with%20strings.pdf

A work that is highly Recommended both for the harpist and the strings:

Gould, Morton (b New York, 10 Dec 1913; d Orlando, FL, 21 Feb 1996). American

Spirituals for Strings <1961> 21′

hp — str Harp in mvts 1, 4, 5 only. Strings divisi.

[Not to be confused with two other similarly named works by this composer.]

Gospel Train—Old Time Religion (with Harp)
    Were You There?—Steal Away
    All God’s Children Got Wings
    Little David Play on Your Harp (with Harp)
    Calvary—He Never Said a Mumblin’ Word (with Harp)
    Ezekiel Saw de Wheel
    Score: (66 pp) http://www.musicsalesclassical.com/composer/work/565/28389

Pub: Schirmer rental http://www.musicsalesclassical.com/rental

Additions and corrections are always welcome for all the charts. proofer1@comcast.net

Hello Mr. Chauret,
    From Vanderbilt Music Inc. in Bloomington Indiana, take a look at three different Collections arranged by Patricia Jaeger: Twenty Carols With a Friend; Folk Harp With a Friend; and Familiar Hymns With a Friend.This last includes a CD with Danielle Perrett from London, at the harp. That CD alone is $7.00, from Patricia Jaeger in Seattle who asks no postage if it is from the USA.Her These are all scored for A String Quartet plus Harp. First violin carries the melody; harp is always accompanying. Intermediate level.
    Her contact information is with Vanderbilt Music.

agkengor
    Participant

Have you heard of Prelude, Waltz, and Rigaudon for Harp and Strings by Reynaldo Hahn? It’s very beautiful, but I don’t think it’s very well known.

MusikFind1
    Participant

Publication details update:

Hahn, R. (b. Caracas, Venezuela, 9 Aug, 1874; d. Paris, 28 Jan. 1947) Venezuelan, naturalized French composer
    Prélude, Valse et Rigaudon,
    for harp and string ensemble (violin I and II, viola, cello and bass), adapted for pedal harp and ed. Dominique Piana, full score (23 pp.) For sale. GU106
    Parts for sale: Solo harp, (10 pp.) Difficulty: 9-10 GU107
    Set of String Orchestra parts: G108
    Alternate String Quartet version. GU109
    Pub. Editions Harpiana Publications https://harpiana.com/
    Phone: (925) 455-5333
    Email: dominiquepiana@comcast.net

Prélude, valse et rigaudon: pour harpe chromatique: avec accompagnement de piano
    “Morceau de Councours pour le conservatoire royal de musique de Bruxelles Année, 1903”
    1 harp score (19 pages); 35 cm
    Pub: Paris: Au Menestrel: Heugel & Cie, [190-?] Agent
    Leduc, Agent Music Sales Classical
    Copy on Deposit: Brigham Young University Harold B.
    Lee Library Provo, UT
    The publication with strings is not found on the
    Heugel/Leduc – Music Sales Classical.
    YouTube:
    Floraleda Sacchi (Harp) Orchestra 1813, José Gomez Rios
    Teatro Sociale di Como 24 Feb. 2012

Floraleda Sacchi Arpista – Harpist

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by MusikFind1.
    agkengor
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.