harpcolumn

Sudden pedal click! HELP!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Sudden pedal click! HELP!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chanah Ambuter
    Participant

Hello all,

I was practicing today when, all of a sudden, my A-pedal started making a clicking noise. I’ve run through the following diagnostic checks:
    – Only clicks from A-flat to A-natural. A-natural to A-sharp is silent
    – Only clicks when moving the pedal sideways into the slot with moderate force. Moving the pedal up and down, or VERY gently into the slot, is silent.
    – Clicks are somewhat sporadic — sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn’t.
    – None of the other pedals are clicking

See sound file here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k89hmEUiCLwi1ZCocAy446tAbzxx7b9Y

My harp is 7 years old, and was just regulated a couple months ago.

Can anyone help? What could have caused it to JUST start clicking out of the blue mid-practice session?

Thanks,
    Chanah

Tacye
    Participant

Have you had a look in the base while moving the pedal to see if anything is touching?

The click I once had in the base was solved by a technician adjusting the bit of cloth packed into the bottom of the column.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

What harp are you playing? If you have a harp tech you use regularly, you could send the video to the tech. My harp did this once and it turned out the spring needed to be greased.

paul-knoke
    Participant

Sounds to me like the spring is popping in some inappropriate direction and hitting the pedal bar or stud. Lay the harp down and take a look! A technician may be needed to adjust the spring stud.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies