Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Who pays? #211858
    Sylvia
    Participant

    What I’ve done in the past, and it has worked, is tell the bride if she sends me the music, I’ll be happy to play it. That puts the problem on the bride instead of the musician.

    in reply to: Rental Harp with No Harp Key? #211781
    Sylvia
    Participant

    They probably forgot to include it. When I bought my first pedal harp (1971)from L-H in Chicago, they shipped it to me with no tuning key. I had to make a long-distance call to tell them. (at that time, it was expensive to call) They sounded embarrassed and promised to send it right away, which they did.
    I would tell the renter they forgot to include the key and ask them for it.

    in reply to: Etiquette question #211254
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Seems like the owner of the harp is trying to get the person renting it to buy the strings…simple as that. If she can con someone into replacing strings, she won’t have to pay for them herself.
    Personally, I would explain that the harp does not need new strings to be regulated. That would show her you know that useful bit of info and wreck her plan. If it’s her harp, she needs to pay for the regulation.

    in reply to: Etiquette question #211242
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I have never understood why anyone would try to regulate on a new set of strings. I understand harp companies say new strings are necessary because they want to sell strings. They are in business to make money.
    However, new strings stretch, so how can a regulation on new strings be accurate? You regulate, and the strings keep stretching, so that initial adjustment will be wrong and continue to be wrong. Once the strings have stretched and are settled, the initial regulation will not be accurate. It can’t be. If new strings are put on, regulation should not be done until all strings have stretched.
    It’s not etiquette. It’s just common sense.

    in reply to: Pedal felt-changing hint #210556
    Sylvia
    Participant

    My pedals slide off the slot felts when I’m trying to change felts. I’ve had some success with blocking the pedals at the fulcrum (where they meet) with the empty cardboards from toilet paper. I just wedge the cardboards between the pedals at the back. It’s easy to remove them when I’m done.

    • This reply was modified 9 years ago by Sylvia.
    in reply to: Who pays? #210256
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Catherine, what is the piece? If I have it, I will email it to you.
    Anyone else, if you need music, just tell us what it is, and maybe one of us has it and can send it to you!

    in reply to: best advice you were given? #210204
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I just saw the new replies, too. Balfour, I sure hope you have power by now. That’s brutal…hope it wasn’t too hot at the time. How long were you out?
    This is the only part of the Gulf Coast that didn’t take a hit…deep S. TX. We were spared…no rain, no nothing…at least this time.

    in reply to: New 44 string Harp – BUYER BEWARE #210096
    Sylvia
    Participant

    You must have a lot of money to keep buying harps!
    Your last post sounds like the company sent their own tech. What a scam job, covering themselves.
    The 44 was a defective product. It is not your job to fix it. If you bought a TV or other product and it didn’t work right, you would take it back and either they would replace the product or give you your money back…you wouldn’t take it to a TV repair place and pay them to try to make it work.
    I don’t understand why you let that harp company get away with selling defective merchandise and not having to refund your money.
    Like I said, the attorney general’s office should have been notified of what the company did. They could stop that company from ripping off other people.

    in reply to: New 44 string Harp – BUYER BEWARE #210061
    Sylvia
    Participant

    You don’t say how you contact and communicate with the company. You need to document all calls…day, time, who you spoke to, what was said. Write to them and get them to respond in writing. Have the tech who came twice to visit the harp write a report for each visit…day, time, the condition of the harp.
    Keep a file of all communication and details of the situation, and make copies.
    If the company does not honor the warranty and continues to disregard your situation, contact the attorney general of your state and file a consumer complaint.

    in reply to: best advice you were given? #209728
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Jerusha, what about you? Anything to share?

    A long time ago, but I think of several things.

    Never get rid of music. Someday you will want it. (so true)
    Performing: If you do it, enjoy it. If you don’t enjoy it, don’t do it.
    The harp is not for everyone. Don’t push it on anyone.
    Joke: I brought my harp to a party, but nobody asked me to play.
    Never play in a short skirt.
    Do not cross legs on stage. (crossed ankles are OK) Do not tap foot.
    Listen to orchestra recordings and practice w/them. Then practice your part with the metronome a bit faster, just in case.
    Write in cues (like if you hear the flute in M34) to make sure you stay in the right place in ensemble music.
    Use a tape recorder to check on sound quality, rhythm, etc.
    Never say or imply anything negative about another harpist because it will
    just reflect on you.

    I, too, was taught Salzedo method. I didn’t know there was anything else.
    Once I was on my own, all that disappeared because I was concentrating on playing music and listening for the sounds I wanted. I don’t care for that structured approach because it looks and feels awkward.

    in reply to: Hello everybody! #207538
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I’m so glad to hear you are safe in Sweden. Hope your harp is there with you!

    in reply to: Karaoke used as an amplifier #207311
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I used one once at a hotel, and it seemed to be fine.

    in reply to: another harp #205559
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I agree with Alison.  It would take a long time to earn back the amount you would spend buying a harp.

    in reply to: Difference between curved and straight soundboard #201710
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I understood that it refers to the outside edges of the board….as in, larger harps have curved edges.  Mine is an LH 15 straight soundboard.  I always heard that the curved-edge (larger) boards pulled up in the middle much more than the straight.  Mine was built in ’71 and has no noticeable pullup.

    in reply to: Bench backpacks #201708
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I have a length of rope with ends tied together (as in a circle).  I fold my bench, hook the rope over one end of the bench legs, and hook the other side of the rope over the top of the harp.  I hang my harp bag over the other side of the top of the harp.  No need to buy anything or wear a backpack…a piece of old clothesline does just fine.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 824 total)