Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: PREMIER harp strings #215227
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Sid,
    Which gut broke? Was it from wear or was it defective?
    My concern is the 5th octave…A & B.
    Those are the ones I am getting.
    Thanks.

    in reply to: PREMIER harp strings #215195
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I would love to get Vanderbilt, but when I wanted to order, they said they no longer take checks. I’m from that other century….cash or check.

    in reply to: PREMIER harp strings #215190
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Personally, I just want a string down there. It’ll blend in, I’m sure.

    in reply to: PREMIER harp strings #215156
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Thanks for the input. Sid, I’m wondering which gut broke. The strings I’m fighting about are the 5th A & B….they last for years, and the BB were clearly from the bad batch. BB should have had a recall on all strings from that batch because they knew they were bad.

    in reply to: Stolen Pedal Harp #214871
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Seems the university insurance should cover it?

    in reply to: Stairs #214865
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Look for a different place to live.

    in reply to: BB 5th Octave A #214841
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I always keep a set of spares, so some of my spares are years old…and they’re always fine. It’s never been a problem. Luckily (or maybe not), I did not have a spare for the 5A because they last so long. So that’s the reason I was putting it on right away. LH was willing to replace or refund. I sent back both the A and B and told them please send me a different B also because it’s probably from the same batch, and it will be a while before I’ll need to change my B. By then, I told them, they’d tell me I had it too long. I also asked them to refund my money for postage. I figure I was the victim, so why should I pay it?
    Anyway, I have to stick with LH because VB no longer takes checks, and I’m from the other century. (VB took my checks for years w/no protest or problem.) I don’t know about Virginia Harp Center or others.

    in reply to: BB 5th Octave A #214805
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Carl, did they also pay you for the postage it costs to send them back?

    in reply to: BB 5th Octave A #214787
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I’m going to return the strings to LH, ask for a refund, and order from Vanderbilt. They have their own brand of strings.
    No one else has had bad Bow Brands?
    I’ve replaced strings for 47 years and NEVER had one break while putting it on or anytime soon afterward.

    in reply to: Catholic Mass #213201
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I sympathize completely. I know this will not help much, but here goes:
    Wedding:
    Prelude (while people are arriving) 1/2 hour
    Marches (padrinos, bridesmaids, bride)
    Unity Candle
    Offertory
    Sign of Peace
    Communion
    Flowers to the Virgin (Schubert Ave Maria)
    Exit march

    Funeral:
    Prelude: Sylvia Clark-Harp *
    Gathering/Entrance Litany of Saints-Chant*

    Presentation of Gifts Now We Remain (Marty Haugen)*

    Sign of Peace La Paz Este Con Nosotros
    Lamb of God Cordero de Dios
    Communion: Pescador de Hombres* (Spanish)
    Commendation of the Body Song of Farewell
    Recessional You Are Mine (David Haas)*

    When I came here in the 80s (S. TX), I had no idea. People would give me the order and music, and I kind of bungled along.
    Then in ’91, a choir director at a local church wanted harp and took me under his wing. I played for 5 yrs …every feast day and special occasions. The order of the mass is the same, and I collected appropriate music as I went along. He left to go to Ohio (his family is here, so he comes back to visit), and a different director took over, ending my choir career. (I play only on Xmas Eve now w/the choir.) I improvise off the choir music.
    Anyway, it was a total blessing because I got familiar w/the mass.
    (the funeral one above was for his sister’s funeral a couple of years ago, but it does show the order…some of the choir sang, so there were also mass parts, but I didn’t include them because I don’t play them unless there is a singer.)
    You really need to be there. I suggest you might find a Catholic church near you and attend the mass and/or ceremonies. You can go online and check their schedule. A Catholic mass is open. You do not need an invitation. Just sit in the back…hopefully where not too many are seated. If someone does question you, that would be a good time to make it known you play the harp and are observing the music. Who knows? You may get to play w/the choir.
    They get up to go to Communion. I freaked out the 1st time I played because I didn’t know that, and I thought they were all leaving!
    Almost all my church weddings are Catholic…I seldom have Protestant ones because they use their own musicians, and their music people get hurt feelings if someone else is brought in (I’ve been told this).
    Here, the Schubert Ave Maria is the one they know and the one they want. It is a must. It may not be for your area, but my area is Hispanic.
    I know this probably doesn’t help much, but I had a real struggle, so your post kind of hit home. I was very fortunate to learn. I hope you will find a way into the Catholic music.
    The songs I use for Offertory, Sign of Peace, and Communion (unless they request something else) are included in my website. The Pescador is Fisher of Men in English. http://www.WeddingHarpMusic.yolasite.com

    • This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by Sylvia.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by Sylvia.
    in reply to: Anxious Bride #212954
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Jennifer, don’t you have a website with the music already on it?

    in reply to: Funerals/Memorial Services #212054
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Good luck w/finding regular work for this. I’ve tried, but no success. It is the family, not the funeral home, who hires the music, so it gets sticky.
    I usually get this work only when someone already knows about me, or I’ve played for the family before….and I have sent my info to all local funeral homes. Maybe it’s different in your area.

    in reply to: Scottish Fantasy #212033
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I haven’t played that one, but Capriccio Espanol seems to be a competition …let’s see how fast we can play it…all over youtube. I’m sure the composer did not mean for those lovely melodies to be blurs. Last time I played it, I had to gliss the little figures in the last section just to get them in.

    in reply to: Regular performances – hotels/restaurants #212001
    Sylvia
    Participant

    On the plus side, it does put you out in public so people know about you…and maybe pick up some regular jobs.

    in reply to: Who pays? #211859
    Sylvia
    Participant

    What I’ve done in the past, and it worked, was tell the bride that if she would send me the music, I’d be happy to play it.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 824 total)