harpcolumn

Who pays?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Who pays?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Sylvia
    Participant

What I’ve done in the past, and it has worked, is tell the bride if she sends me the music, I’ll be happy to play it. That puts the problem on the bride instead of the musician.

Sylvia
    Participant

What I’ve done in the past, and it worked, was tell the bride that if she would send me the music, I’d be happy to play it.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Sylvia,

That sounds like a very good way to solve this issue!

catherine-rogers
    Participant

My only problem with this is the arrangement the bride sends may be unplayable or unsuitable for harp. One sent me harmonica music, which I couldn’t decipher at all. I spend a lot of time looking at various harp arrangements (or piano arrangements if that’s all that’s available) before deciding which version in which key will work best for me, and even then I often end up rewriting it.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Good points, Catherine, ones that I didn’t think of.

emma-graham
    Participant

Yes, I used to take that approach but it rarely worked. I either found myself answering endless questions about where to find the music – by which time I might as well have just bought it myself – or, as Catherine says, what the bride sent was useless. One bride’s interpretation of “sheet music” was a (bootlegged) Metallica CD accompanied by the lyrics to “Nothing Else Matters”. Helpful!!

It’s so much easier now. I usually go for an easy piano version and build my own arrangement around it. I use the Sheet Music Direct app and you can preview the first page so it’s possible to see what will work best before actually buying it. You can transpose it into any key within the app too, which is great!

catherine-rogers
    Participant

My first stop is usually MusicNotes.com. You can see all pages of an arrangement and many are available in a choice of keys (very helpful when considering necessary pedal changes; I chose one key because that was the only key where the simultaneous pedal changes were on opposite sides).

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics

Recent Replies