Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Sylvia
    Participant

    I wonder why you’d want a nylon below middle C. I didn’t know anyone used them down there.

    in reply to: re-directing business to other harpists #62496
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Mmm. Interesting. I guess people don’t like to discuss this. I know when I was new at this, I thought….I’m paying for the advertising, and I’m sending this job to someone else?? It didn’t seem fair, and I didn’t want to do it. I have definitely evolved.

    in reply to: Valse by Karl Carlson for harp solo or duet #61570
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Thank you. If you have the book, could you please tell me what is printed right above the word “Valse?”

    Sylvia
    Participant

    Wow. My 15 is 65 1/2 lbs, and I think you are dealing with a lot more weight and size. I load into a Honda Station Wagon. I have the 3-wheel cart, also….great for stairs and curbs.

    Sylvia
    Participant

    I was thinking of the getting it into and out of the vehicle part. I do OK on steps. As little as you are, you SHOULD be awarded a prize…loading any kind of pedal harp into your car!

    Sylvia
    Participant

    Really? Everyone has help loading their harp? Amazing.

    in reply to: Plans For Our Harps #102213
    Sylvia
    Participant

    It’s never too early for a will if you are of age. Consider if you were in a car accident or something…we won’t all die of old age, and we have no way of knowing when or how we’ll die, so it’s best to have some plan made. Be careful of giving, as I’ve said above. People have a way of wanting to sell stuff that’s given them.

    in reply to: Fingering for Last Rose of Summer #60191
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Glad I could help! That’s a beautiful song.

    in reply to: Fingering for Last Rose of Summer #60188
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Wouldn’t you just do
    2123 (slide 3 to b) 321
    so 1 is on the 2nd oct d, 4 would be on 3rd oct d, and 3 would be on 3rd oct e.

    in reply to: Canon in D #61548
    Sylvia
    Participant

    You don’t have to play any piece the way it’s written. Just revise it so it makes sense and sounds good.

    in reply to: Crashed and burned AND lived to tell about it. #62512
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Sherj, maybe in your case apology was appropriate, but I learned early on NEVER to apologize…seemed it would bring on confused looks and make the audience feel bad. My new attitude helped me be able to “play through” mistakes like everything was OK. So I just started putting on a celebrity smile, like I was happy as a clam, and pretended everything was wonderful, no matter what happened. The audience stays happy that way, and they don’t need to share my misery, if I have any.

    in reply to: Crashed and burned AND lived to tell about it. #62507
    Sylvia
    Participant

    You just need weathering. We all start from 0, and experience is the best teacher. Remember, when you are playing your harp, you are right at home…your home is right in back of your harp…no matter where you are. Even Michelle Kwan fell on her behind sometimes.

    I recall one of my early band experiences….the Nutcracker cadenza, which I DO know solidly…I was coming down with a cold. I got to the end of the cadenza where those final chords are…and they weren’t there. I knew the print music was there, but I didn’t look because I never thought of it. I looked on the strings, but the chords just weren’t there, and the silence was deafening. The conductor waited….seemingly forever…before he moved on. I love band, and I go whenever they have a part for me.

    in reply to: Having issues with sitting at harp – for pedal harpists. #60147
    Sylvia
    Participant

    What kind of floor are you practicing on? If you and the harp are sliding around, maybe you need to be on something that won’t allow that to happen, like carpet.

    in reply to: Deliberate Damage to Pedal Harp #62407
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Even with insurance…don’t forget there is a deductible YOU have to pay. As for the mom who says she can’t control the kid, I’d tell her it’s her job as a parent to control him.

    in reply to: Lightweight amplifier? #112187
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Paul and Brenda….I think Harpsicles don’t have pedals, so you can use just about anything…the pedal issue is a whole other world…and there are, indeed, pedal sounds inside the harp…at least there are inside my two pedal harps.

    Robert, both of my amps are guitar amps. The Marathon is at least 25 yrs old…from the old days when the guitarist just stood in front of the mike….the guitar was not plugged in like they all are now. The Radio Shack amp was just plain luck. I bought it in ’04, and have no idea how long it had hung around the store, but it picks up the sound fine with my mike next to the harp on the floor (with padding under it). Now, the guitar amps seem to be built for only guitars that plug into them, and they don’t pick up when the sound is next to them. That’s why my next move, if necessary, will be to get a PA instead of an amp.

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 824 total)