column

Canon in D

Home Forums Repertoire Canon in D

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Loonatik

Anyone played Pachelbel’s “Kanon in D” trans. by Eva Jaslar?

I stumbled upon something on measure 6.
    It has a R.H. chord with 5 notes, and a broken chord 4 notes on the L.H.

Was it an error?

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I have not seen this specific piece. However, when you see a chord written this way, you play the first 4 notes with left hand, the next four with the right and then cross over with the left to play the top note with the left index finger.

Loonatik

Doesn’t work… sorry I didn’t describe it well. I meant a chord with 5 notes on the RH and an arpeggio on the LH… means you have to place 9 fingers on the beat.

But I revisited, and found that with the tempo for that piece, I could probably grab the big octave and play the rest of the arpeggios – in 2 actions…

It just feels strange there because the rest of the piece isn’t meant to be played that way, so I think there is a note in there that shouldn’t have been written, have abandoned this piece since then…

Sylvia
    Participant

You don’t have to play any piece the way it’s written. Just revise it so it makes sense and sounds good.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Put 8 fingers on the harp where the chord is played (except the top note in the right hand). Play the rolled chord very quickly. Practice a few times. Use the metronome to get the beat. Then when you master that, take the left hand and quickly play the top note of the right hand chord. It will work with some practice. The way the piece is written appears to call for a slower left hand and then speed up the right hand chord. But the technique is the same. You play the left hand, then right, then cross over.

Otherwise, play a more simple chord.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.