harpcolumn

Pedal harpists (girls): Do you load your harp by yourself?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Pedal harpists (girls): Do you load your harp by yourself?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Sylvia
    Participant

I just loaded up, and I sometimes wonder about this. I’m pretty big (5’7″) and my bigger harp is pretty small (LH 15), compared to others. Seems like so many girls are so little, and they play bigger harps than mine.
    I’ve always loaded mine (no other option), and I exercise a lot and do weights, but even so, it takes some oomph.

seika-dong
    Participant

Sylvia
    Participant

Really? Everyone has help loading their harp? Amazing.

kay-lister

I ALWAYS need help with my harp. I have a cart made for steps (the three wheels) and my husband still has to be at the bottom lifting the cart a bit as I guide it down the steps. I REALLY think if I tried that part myself that I would end up being thrown over the top of the harp and landing quite a distance out in my front yard and can only imagine the thousands of pieces that my poor harp would be in. I CAN with some moaning and groaning on my part, get it into the back of the Xterra myself after which I feel like I should be awarded a prize of some sort. I’m 5 ft 4 in. and work out at a gym but moving my 85 E Concertino STILL makes me struggle. As I said though, the toughest part is the steps.

Sylvia
    Participant

I was thinking of the getting it into and out of the vehicle part. I do OK on steps. As little as you are, you SHOULD be awarded a prize…loading any kind of pedal harp into your car!

Tacye
    Participant

I have always moved my 85CG myself and loaded it – lived for a couple of years in a room up one flight of stairs so got plenty of practice. I find it more a matter of angle than strength – the thighs have to do almost all the work.

Sylvia
    Participant

Wow. My 15 is 65 1/2 lbs, and I think you are dealing with a lot more weight and size. I load into a Honda Station Wagon. I have the 3-wheel cart, also….great for stairs and curbs.

I have always loaded my Camac Athena by myself…..first into a Subaru Outback which wasn’t so easy, then into an Element which was a little easier, but still took some maneuvering, and now into a Dodge Grand Caravan which is truly a piece of cake. I have a ramp for when/if I need to take it down the front walk, but lately I have been taking it on my standard harp cart down 2 small steps into the garage and straight into the vehicle. I lay a shiny/slippery chair mat into the back of the van and the harp slides right in. It’s so easy.

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

My mum often does my Atlantide alone which means about 6 stairs out of the house and then into the car. Often stairs at the other end too. She has no problem with car loading into a mazda 6 estate and slides it in on a slippery sleeping bag to lie on a padded mattress.

emma-graham
    Participant

I live alone so no help. Ever. A decent trolley with pneumatic wheels makes the harp easy to move from A to B and getting it into the car is simple once you know how. I’m 5ft 6″ and play Lyon and Healys – styles 23 and 11. I’m not very strong either! I guess I’ve got used to it because I have no option. It would be nice to have someone to do it all for me. If you have such a person then let them know how much you appreciate them by giving them a big hug!

Carlin
    Participant

I’ve always had help…at under 100 lbs, i think the harp (daphne 47/iris) weighs almost as much as i do. The only time i move it alone is when i’m dragging it across flat surfaces. I don’t have a cart so i need help with stairs too.

phill-w
    Participant

For stairs, yes I need someone – I am female despite the name. If it’s just like up a doorstep, I really just need them in case anything happens. For going up multiple stairs, I need them to roll their sleeves up and help. For cars, yes I can load/unload myself but I still like someone around just in case

donna-germano–2
    Participant

I get into more trouble when people try to help me. We all have those stories. One time a food and beverage director asked one of the waitstaff to help me by pushing from the bottom as I was pulling the harp up some stairs. He just shoved as hard as he could and knocked me over backwards. I will accept help on some stairways but only after I’m sure they will listen to me. For the most part I’m like Emma. no help.

Louis Venus

I always insist my daughter Emily asks for help up and down stairs just so someone is there to “save” it if the worst happens and it has a wobbly moment! God forbid !

Sylvia
    Participant

Donna, I had to laugh (not really funny!) because that happened to me once. I went SPLAT right on my behind….really awkward getting up again. They don’t understand it has to be a SLOW process.

Usually, some macho man comes up when I’m loading into my station wagon, but I just tell them they’ll throw me off balance if they hold onto it…and I’ll lose my loading muscles if I let someone else load for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies