Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Sylvia
ParticipantI’m blessed to be in deep South TX. We were supposed to have sleet and possible snow last nite, but it was rain, I’m not disappointed. I came from central Illinois (ice storms…ugh) many years ago, so I know what snow and ice are like. That’s why I’m here!
It actually did snow here back about 7-8 yrs ago, and everyone was making snowballs, but it melted off pretty fast.
Sylvia
ParticipantYes, I wrote much the same things on there. My LH15 was born in 1971, and my Etude in 1989. You can see them on my website (the music samples are the LH)
http://www.WeddingHarpMusic.yolasite.comSylvia
ParticipantI know I’m talking wet instead of dry here, but my harps go wet or dry depending on where I’m playing…home, outside, violent AC (cold and dry).
I wonder why people worry about this because if you are moving your harp in and out of places to play jobs, the humidity varies constantly. Personally, I never give it a thought….unless it’s near the ocean…then the harp gets practically wet and has to go inside to dry off before being covered. That scenario is rare, but it’s happened a couple of times. The newer finish (lacquered) withstands the humidity better than the stained finish, which is one reason I try to use my Etude outside instead of my LH15.
They’ve both been exposed to extremes of temp and humidity, and they still work OK. What was supposed to happen to them, I wonder?
Sylvia
ParticipantLook down the Coffee Break threads about five ….someone already put it on there.
Sylvia
ParticipantWell, since I have both lights on the right hand side, and the weird lighting comes from the right, I can see the strings OK. It’s not dark in there. The light from the house lights comes from my right, putting the right side of the page in shadow from the harp being in the way. I doubt if this situation would be what anyone else is in.
I vote for the orchestra light, if you can get it. I didn’t know about it when I first went to the music store looking (I don’t buy things over the Internet)….and they don’t take things back at that store. Since band is the only place I use it, I haven’t gotten the orchestra one. When I’m in the opera pit, the lights are provided.
Sylvia
ParticipantI think Barbara is right. An orchestra light DOES light the strings, too.
As for the double, if it’s anything like what I have, and it looks like it is, (they didn’t have the orchestra one at the music store), those two little lights don’t even adequately light the music.
I use mine just for band because the venue we play in has weird lighting, and I focus both lights on the page that is in shadow.Sylvia
ParticipantThat’s why I eventually got to the point of, when in doubt, I ask the bride if she prefers I wear black or some other color. That way, I don’t have to wonder.
Sylvia
ParticipantThe raccoon is a bit wet…. The young girl playing is just great! So creative.
Sylvia
ParticipantThey bite your feet and ankles….nylons don’t discourage the mosquitoes. I spray with OFF before I start when I’m outside.
I’m thinking the clothes thing is just one more thing where we are all different from each other. Seems to boil down to whatever you are comfortable wearing in your area of the country.
Sylvia
ParticipantAlison, do you mean a church wedding ceremony or the reception?
Maybe I should have specified in my thread title I meant the ceremony.I am anti-pants, (mmmm trousers…you must be UK…as we don’t use the word trousers) but I always wear black at a church wedding. Many centuries ago when I first started playing, I didn’t. One time, I asked the bride-to-be about what to wear (thinking, color of bridesmaids dresses), and she told me the musicians always wear black…end of discussion. A light bulb went off in my head, and then I knew. However, I am close to Mexico, and it could be a cultural thing.
Outdoor weddings, I ask them about black or color, and some say neutral…I have a couple of ivory…some say a pastel or whatever. Again, this is the ceremony.
For a reception, I wear either a tea-length or a floor-length and try for a color that goes with or doesn’t clash.
When the whole thing is in an events center, and I play both the ceremony and dinner, then I wear the more formal dress because most of the time will be at the dinner, and the dinner is directly after the ceremony.
As for breaks, I don’t take any. As for mingling, nunca (never). I’m one of the hired help.
Sylvia
ParticipantElizabeth, I went to look at your website, but it wasn’t there on your profile.
Sylvia
ParticipantSo the mic actually goes into the hole, but it is not in contact with the wood?
Sylvia
ParticipantThey look kind of like a skirt.
Sylvia
ParticipantWhere did you stick them?
Sylvia
ParticipantYou have a pic? Is it on your website?
-
AuthorPosts