Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Crashed and burned AND lived to tell about it. #62532
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Kay, whatever happened to your band career? Did you decide to go again?

    in reply to: Affairs of the Harp book? #78098
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Is it by Sam Pratt, published in 1964?
    I have one. You might find it quite dated, and the info is now on the Internet.
    However, it is a fun book with lots of info and some funny cartoons (harpoons).

    It has how-to about tuning (even discusses tuning forks!), strings, finding buzzes, oiling rivets, pedal rods, broken springs, benches, changing felts, etc., lists of method books, concert repertoire….

    It’s probably not something you need. I got mine many years ago and used it back in the olden days. Now I would just go online to look for things.
    I was surprised it is still around. I’m happy that I have one, but I like things of harpness past…

    Sylvia
    Participant

    Here is the dress rehearsal, in case anyone else plays it. They can come here to listen to it.

    in reply to: On the artistry of faking #113500
    Sylvia
    Participant

    One player commented that while music by some modern composers presented no problem, with others it was ‘a case of keeping in the right bar and hoping the trumpets drown you out’.

    LOL True. Faking is an art in itself. Not just orchestra. In band, you have many more trumpets to rely on! Aiming for the first note of the measure is a good policy.

    I’ve heard that strings do something they call “air-bowing.”
    Also, now we know that fiddlers eat anchovies.

    in reply to: Sitting higher #78044
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Yikes. If I sat at 26 inches, my knees wouldn’t bend. The bath mat is no trouble…lightweight, easy to stash next to the column… I fold it on the bench so the rubbery part is next to the bench (no sliding), and of course, the velveteen cover hides it. It also makes for a softer seat.

    When I play the Etude, I don’t need the extra padding because that harp is smaller.

    in reply to: Sitting higher #78041
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I don’t know how tall the Heartland is, but I use the adjustable folding bench with my harps … but it is not quite high enough. To make it higher, I put a folded bath mat on top of the bench (with my velveteen cover over the whole thing). When I move, I put the folded bath mat between the bottom string and the column, near the base.

    To move the harp and bench at the same time, I use a length of rope that is tied into a circle. I put one end on the bench legs and the other over the top of the harp.

    in reply to: Which Harp Fits The Following Criteria? #78020
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Have you tried Ingrid? Maybe she can help you.
    http://www.harps.co.za/

    in reply to: Totally NOT harp related #113473
    Sylvia
    Participant

    As for windows, I had LoE2 double-paned windows put in back 7-8 yrs ago. I hope they are making better ones by now. The glass is fine, but the metal around the panes conducts heat and cold, so the total effect is you get both heat and cold. I’ve lined some of the metal parts with stick-on stuff and used weatherstripping for the bigger areas of metal. Terribly disappointing.

    As for Hawaii, I’d worry about the salt in the air as well as the humidity. If the harp stays home all the time, maybe it could have its own room with climate control.

    in reply to: Ever heard if Kenny Bostard? #78015
    Sylvia
    Participant
    in reply to: Totally NOT harp related #113469
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Goodness. Do you live in a tent?

    in reply to: Totally NOT harp related #113466
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Actually, it occurred to me that this subject IS harp related…if someone is moving their harp to go play somewhere. I wonder how many weddings were postponed because of all that weather up north!

    in reply to: Question about gestures at the harp #89893
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I wonder why she chose you to teach her. Did she see (hear) you play somewhere? Did someone recommend you to her? Are you the shortest commute? (not being sarcastic…I was, I think, chosen that way once, back in the day…they moved out of town not long after that)

    Would be interesting to know.
    I didn’t choose my teacher. He was at the university where I went to school, so I guess he was the shortest commute.

    btw, I don’t teach and don’t want to.

    in reply to: Question about gestures at the harp #89878
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I was taught Salzedo method, too, and I think it is awkward, creates tension, and looks strange…the body language detracting from the music.
    I don’t play the way I was taught. I believe in relaxed wrists and elbows.

    Each of us has her/his own view of the harp and how it should be played.
    To me, the important thing is what does it sound like? Does it sound clean and beautiful?

    in reply to: Is there no honor in email agreements? #62844
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Mmmmm. Seems like I recall David Ice embroiled in an email controversy …a total mess.
    Phone message … you don’t know if she got it, ignored it, or what.
    I think I would have kept calling until I got her on the phone. That way, she would have had to actually tell me what the situation was.

    in reply to: Question about gestures at the harp #89874
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I’m sure probably everyone will agree with you except me, so this is the voice from the other side.
    If it works for her, why change?
    I “raise” when practicing slowly and loudly because it definitely helps secure the music and eliminate noise between notes… but I don’t “raise” when I’m playing.
    I’m on her side, but I would encourage her to practice slowly and loudly and “raise” during her practice.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 824 total)