harpcolumn

Sitting higher

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Sitting higher

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rachael Rosenbaum
    Participant

What easily portable seat-booster (for an adult!) can I use? My BIG Heartland harp can only be played when my seat is elevated and I’m getting tired of lugging around a vintage typewriter! ‘Nuff said! I need a serious boost… Having a hard time finding anything that fits the bill….any thoughts?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Why not just invest in an adjustable folding keyboard bench? The smaller ones aren’t heavy to lug around and they go high enough for most pedal harps, so they should certainly be tall enough for a Heartland. If you need to move it a lot, be sure to get one with a quick release button to make folding easier.

Allison Stevick
    Participant

We are in the same boat, Rachael! I love my Heartland harp, but it is too tall for me on a normal height chair. Good idea, Barbara–I will definitely be looking into that option!

Sylvia
    Participant

I don’t know how tall the Heartland is, but I use the adjustable folding bench with my harps … but it is not quite high enough. To make it higher, I put a folded bath mat on top of the bench (with my velveteen cover over the whole thing). When I move, I put the folded bath mat between the bottom string and the column, near the base.

To move the harp and bench at the same time, I use a length of rope that is tied into a circle. I put one end on the bench legs and the other over the top of the harp.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Wouldn’t it be easier just to get a bench that goes higher, Sylvia? There are many different brands of these available and lots of them go as high as 26″ inches.

john-strand
    Participant

how about one of those folding stadium seats? use it on a chair? I’ve seen them with different seat thicknesses depending on padding – and they fold into a compact and easy to carry size –

Sylvia
    Participant

Yikes. If I sat at 26 inches, my knees wouldn’t bend. The bath mat is no trouble…lightweight, easy to stash next to the column… I fold it on the bench so the rubbery part is next to the bench (no sliding), and of course, the velveteen cover hides it. It also makes for a softer seat.

When I play the Etude, I don’t need the extra padding because that harp is smaller.

ellen-beckerman
    Participant

I have an Adjustrite Musician’s Chair. It folds up like folding chair, but the legs can be made as long or as short as you want. I like it alot, and think it is more comfortable than the keyboard bench I have. It’s available at amazon.com, and other places. It might work.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies