harpcolumn

Ever heard if Kenny Bostard?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Ever heard if Kenny Bostard?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rachael Rosenbaum
    Participant

Has anyone ever heard of a harp made by one Kenny Bostard? I found one for sale…

Sylvia
    Participant
    janet-king
    Participant

Hi Rachael, Yes, I HAVE heard of Kenny Bostard, quicken my heart!! My first folk harp ever was a Kenny Bostard, and it was very special. I owned a 30 string, and then I bought a 36 string Kenny Bostard harp, and they both were superb harps, with gorgeous sounds. However, they both broke, sadly. I forget how old they were when they broke, maybe 10 years, I dunno. The little one, the soundboard bellied up and burst, and the larger one, the neck snapped. For years I kept the “corpses” around because I had such an attachment to them. And in fact, right now, the larger harp is at the shop finally, getting a new neck. I haven’t heard it in so many years, I can hardly wait to get it back. I had someone put a new board on the small one, and it was a dud, and then the neck broke on it too… So I’m not sure what will happen with that one; my harp repair guy made me an offer, to repair it with no obligation on my part at all, which is weird, but we’ll see.

Rachael, if you found a Kenny Bostard harp for sale, I’d recommend that you check it out carefully. I think he made extraordinary-sounding harps, but check their structure. You might be able to enlist the help of a harpmaker to fortify it without losing the sound (kind of like lining up a good vet when you adopt an animal!). If you decide not to proceed with it, let me know about it! I might be interested.

I don’t know if Kenny Bostard is even still alive… Back then — and it must have been in the late 80’s/early 90’s — he was really difficult to deal with, because he lived off the grid, without a telephone even. We communicated via hand-written notes that were barely legible… Imagine!

janet-king
    Participant

PS, I’m really not that active here on the Harp Column, so if you want to contact me, email me directly: janet@newyorkharpist.com

I’m keen to know where you go with this, Rachael!

Janet

j-goforth
    Participant

Hello!

I just randomly came across this board…I wanted to give some information about Kenny Bostard. I met him about 23 years ago, while I was in high school. He is still alive at 80, but has terminal cancer. He moved away from his handbuilt home/luthier workshop about 4 years ago as it was getting difficult for him to live that lifestyle on his own. He doesn’t have family, so my husband and I have become adopted caregivers during this last stage of his life.

I believe that he made his first instrument, a harpsichord, sometime in the early 60s. He has made a variety of Middle Eastern instruments including a Quanun, as well as folk instruments like hammer dulcimers and bowed psaltery. I think he began making harps professionally sometime in the mid 70s? His last harp must have been sometime around 2002ish. I remember that he worked on a harp at a time, usually took about 5-6 weeks to complete. After harps, he made Shakuhachi flutes for a few years.

We visit him each day, and he retains much of the meticulous nature which must have been very helpful as a luthier. However, his handwriting is probably even worse 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.