harpcolumn

shostakovitch 7

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire shostakovitch 7

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Andrea
    Spectator

Has anyone played the Shostakovitch Symphony #7? I know it has 2 harps in the instrumentation. Looking for some idea of level. Also are the 2 parts different or just doubled? If they’re different, is there any difference in the level of difficulty between them? Thanks for your help.

Sylvia
    Participant
    MusikFind1
    Participant

Shostakovich Symphonies:
    # 4 has 2 real harp parts.
    # 5 listed as 2 harps but has only 1 real part.
    # 6 has 1 real harp part.
    # 7 has 2 real harp parts.
    # 11 listed as 4 harps has one real part.
    # 13 listed as 4 harps has one real part.

For Symphony 7 there are two engravings on rental in the U.S., both from Schirmer, Chester NY.
    1. Sikorski
    2. Schirmer
    Both engravings have errata lists prepared and posted on the Orchestra Music Errata Catalog. Contact your MOLA librarian for access to errata lists.

Andrea
    Spectator

Thanks for the connection to the NYPhil archives site, Sylvia. I found the parts. I just needed to know the level of difficulty to figure out if my students could handle them.

Thanks for the info on the other Shostakovich symphonies, Clint. I’m sure that will come in handy in the future.

Alison
    Participant

oh, what about #10 ? If swearing were allowed I would swear that there is a harp in Shostakovich 10, but I might be confusing him with another Russian composer, one of those senior moments………

MusikFind1
    Participant

Symphony No. 10, Op. 93, e minor:
    There is no harp listed in Daniels “Orchestral Music Online” or in the Daniels standard reference book “Orchestral Music 4th edition.”
    There is no harp listed by the publisher – Dmitri Shostakovich Estate/Schirmer.
    There is no harp listed by the publisher – Sikorski/Schirmer.

Orchestration
    3[1.2/pic2.pic1] 3[1.2.3/Eh] 3[1.2.3/Ebcl] 3[1.2.3/cbn] — 4 3 3 1 — tmp+4 perc: sd, tamtam, tri, tambn, xyl, cym, bd — str

If Shostakovich is dictating multiple harps, but there is only one part to be played, then I am sure he is saying it should be played by that number of harps, doubling, not a solo part.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies