harpcolumn

Harp tuned or strung incorrectly?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Harp tuned or strung incorrectly?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    elisa-thorn
    Participant

I had a woman come for harp lessons recently with a 26 string lever harp she had purchased from Tom Lee music. Weirdest thing…the instrument was tuned a 4th off of what it should have been – as in, the relative pitch was correct, but the note that was C actually sounded as F, D sounded as G, etc…
    The tension on the strings felt fine, and it was strung as described in all of the online retail descriptions of it, with F as the lowest note and C as the highest note. Anyone ever come across this harp or this problem? I’m at a loss of how to trouble shoot this…can’t seem to find a contact for the maker of this harp to inquire. As I said the relative pitch was normal, so it’s fine in that respect – but having everything in the wrong key would make it difficult for her to play with others etc.

Link to the instrument below:

http://www.mid-east.com/Strings/Celtic-Style-Harp/Roosebeck-Woodlands-Harp-TM-26-Strings

Sylvia
    Participant

Item Specifications:
    UPC: 844731030215
    Origin: Pakistan
    Shipping Specifications:
    Ship Length: 40 inches
    Ship Height: 32 inches
    Ship Width: 20 inches
    Ship Weight: 155 lbs.

I know that would include a shipping case of some kind, but the weight?? How heavy is that harp? My goodness.
    There’s a special note about strings on the ad, so I’m wondering if the strings were brought up to pitch when the harp arrived.

elisa-thorn
    Participant

Oy!
    Ha, definitely does not weigh 155 lbs! It’s a normal weight..

Anyway, I think I solved the mystery! Found a guide from the manufacturer with the correct range identified, so I can cross check with a piano. I think what must have happened is some bozo at Tom Lee must have just tuned it up to the wrong pitch once it was in the store.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies