Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Just saying…..new harp comment #187256
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Opera rehearsal. I’m sitting there with my harp before rehearsal, right, and this stagehand comes up and says….oh, are you going to play the harp? So I said…no, I’m just going to sit here with it. Then I guess he realized he had said something kind of stupid.

    in reply to: Learning Harp Regulation & Maintenance? #187236
    Sylvia
    Participant

    You mention being a student. Can’t your teacher instruct you on basics?
    My teacher had worked at LH and knew maintenance, but he never showed me anything. I didn’t own a harp at the time, but I think students should watch while the teacher changes strings, pedal felts, adjusts discs, etc. It should be a part of your harp education. In my case, it was just a matter of time before I had a harp, so lesson time would have been well spent that way. Instead, I had to struggle and learn by myself. Even if a tech is in the area, or can come to your house, they DO cost money, so sometimes that is not an option.

    in reply to: Is Calmness A Bad Thing? #187150
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Why was the band on a piano forum?

    in reply to: Is Calmness A Bad Thing? #187146
    Sylvia
    Participant

    “logistics of just getting there in one piece, parking and getting inside”
    Alison- I was laughing out loud when I read that….so true. I often feel that the playing is the easy part of doing the job. I rest on the bench and think…thank God…now I can just sit and play! …until it’s over and I have to get all my gear back out and loaded again.

    in reply to: Teeth clenching #187143
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I remember when I was a beginner. I could practice only about 15-20 minutes a day because I got so tired holding up my arms with the wrists in. I was taught Salzedo, so there was built-in tension.
    You don’t mention a teacher, so I would wonder
    1. if you have one to discuss the problem with
    2. if maybe you are afraid. (the fear of failure)

    in reply to: Stop the inner voice!! #187070
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Get into the Zone and listen to your harp while you play. Don’t look at the audience….that’s not your job.

    in reply to: My worst nightmare…. #187002
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Are you doing therapy for the fingers? OT is not like PT, which sounds like what you need.
    I couldn’t move my fingers at all for a while, (I think I still had the fixator on). They were stiff. Once I went in for a checkup, and my regular doctor wasn’t there. The other doctor showed me how to take my other hand and press my stiff fingers flat into my palm. It worked! They moved after that. I was so happy, and of course, since my doctor didn’t seem to know about that maneuver, I showed him how to do it.
    Maybe another doctor could suggest what to do about your fingers.
    As for the screw, I actually had screws and a pin of some kind, but the fixator kept it all in place, and the pin was removed after it healed.

    in reply to: Just saying…..new harp comment #186973
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I think Aoyamas have wheels….my Etude did. I say “did” because the wheels are for indoor only, not for parking lots.

    in reply to: Venus Harps #186972
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Wow, a ’92 Toyota. Mine is a ’95 Honda wagon, and I thought I had the oldest car around. I have a lot repairs, but I’ll never part with it.

    in reply to: Pines of Rome #186872
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Please send me your email address. I don’t see it on your profile.
    harpsylvia@aol.com

    in reply to: Which Pelleas et Melisande? #186867
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I put a separate thread because this other one drifted off into Pelleas & Melisande.

    Performing with….uh….difficult conductors……


    If you read down through it, you’ll see where it veers off after quite a few replies…and no one ever said which P&M they were referring to.

    in reply to: Just saying…..new harp comment #186795
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Thank you for clarifying. I had seen them pulling stuff apart on their horns.

    in reply to: Just saying…..new harp comment #186788
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I did hear that once. I just said I really wished it did.
    Clarinets, French horns, etc. DO dismantle for transport…but something as big as a harp…well, that’s stretching it.

    I was getting ready to put my harp into my station wagon yesterday after a wedding, and a guy asked if I was going to lean it over to put it in. I wondered if he thought I was going to somehow chuck it in there vertically.

    in reply to: Changing bass wires #186720
    Sylvia
    Participant
    in reply to: Playing in nursing homes #186707
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I don’t know about lever or books, but hymns and oldies are good rep for such places.
    If you are not a memorizer, and you can improvise left hand, a fake book would be a good investment.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 824 total)