Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Professional Ethics of What to Charge #188397
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I think Tayce has a point, being on both sides. The reason I asked about anyone being in a musician’s union is that maybe the union sets the fee. However, in some industries, it is known as price-fixing.

    price-fix·ing
    noun
    the maintaining of prices at a certain level by agreement between competing sellers.

    in reply to: Professional Ethics of What to Charge #188395
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I’m not where there is a musicians’ union, but I got to wondering if anyone else is in the union, and how does that affect prices.

    in reply to: Professional Ethics of What to Charge #188384
    Sylvia
    Participant

    As for people not being able to tell…I had some people come for a consult several years ago. The lady mentioned that they had had a consult with another harpist whose playing she described as “basic.” I thought she was very tactful to say that. (I didn’t say anything.) In other words, they didn’t think her playing was as experienced or skillful as what they were looking for. They were not musicians, but they could tell.

    As I said before, you have to get out there to get the experience. It doesn’t matter how good your Ave Maria is in your living room…it has to be beautiful in an entirely different setting….when the bride takes those flowers to the Virgin. The Communion music must hold together while everyone is walking around and end gracefully at the appropriate time. You can’t do those things at home. You have to be playing in the church.

    in reply to: Professional Ethics of What to Charge #188338
    Sylvia
    Participant

    They will either go to your web site and/or ask for a consultation. Either way, they will know how you play.

    in reply to: Professional Ethics of What to Charge #188334
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I feel the way I do because there is no other way to learn and improve than to be out there. I did what I felt was right.
    We all come from different perspectives and different areas of the country, so there will be no agreement on this, I’m sure.
    Playing for free definitely undercuts, and I don’t think any of us should do it. We have a huge financial and time investment in what we do.

    in reply to: Professional Ethics of What to Charge #188326
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Alison, everyone has to start somewhere. That’s why I never put down anyone who shows up with less experience because I was that newbie once, and it’s not fun…it’s very difficult to get the guts to go out there, have a decent rep, learn all the mechanics…how long does it take to get there, set up, change clothes (if necessary), etc. I’m sure I was probably dissed, but my teacher taught me…when someone asks you about another harpist, you say…she/he is a lovely person and plays beautifully. That’s what I say, even if I don’t know, and I never dis anyone because it would just make ME look bad.

    When I started, those many years ago, I was undoubtedly “undercutting” without any competition in mind. I knew I was just sticking my toe in, and I didn’t want anyone to think…gee, I paid ___, and she didn’t do a very good job. I’m sure they got their money’s worth. I’m very grateful to the people who actually hired me because I needed to be out there working in order to learn. Someone has to be the doctor’s first patient.

    It took me many years to acquire my repertoire (see my website or other websites to get ideas for rep). It is all memorized, and the only time I use music is if they throw something at me without enough time to learn it, or I’m accompanying someone.

    Off my soapbox, I gradually raised my prices as I felt more competent. Now, I am very subjective about prices…as in, if I know the place is a difficult entrance or someplace I don’t like to go, I will charge more. If they don’t hire me, that’s OK. As for competition, I think the main competition here would be keyboardists and string quartets, not harpists. I do charge more if it’s farther away or outdoors. I didn’t mention my rates because I’m in a very different place from most of you…S. TX is its own little world. (you can read my book for an inside look at harping here) I think rates depend a lot on your location.

    in reply to: tips: apropos or passe? #188281
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I had to laugh when you said you didn’t sell many CDs. Years ago, I made some tapes and took them with me to the Sunday brunch I played. This lady bought a tape and then said…”Oh, good. Now I won’t have to come here anymore. I can just listen to the tape.” I never took tapes with me again.

    in reply to: smashed index finger #188212
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Gretchen, I keep reading these posts and thinking about how you must feel. Mine was a wrist thing…smithereens…I was off the turf for three months, playing-wise. It really ached, and I found that keeping it warm with a scarf wrapped around it helped a lot (no cast- a fixator was screwed on).
    Anyway, I was VERY depressed, and I really think my mom thought I’d never play again. I tried not to think that way, and every day seemed an eternity, so I’m guessing that maybe you might feel that way.

    in reply to: tips: apropos or passe? #188172
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I love the Harp String Fund idea!
    I worked a Sunday brunch many years ago. I would put a few dollars into my tip basket to start off, just to make it look like people were tipping. One thing I noticed was if a big tip ($5 or $10) landed in there, that was the end. Nobody else would tip. Most people put ones, so if they saw a bigger bill, they probably figured their one was too small to count. Because of that, I would remove the big bill right away and stash it in my purse. I guess for Emily, it works the other way, so maybe her audience is richer.
    As Emily said, put your business cards by your tip basket.

    in reply to: Costume Work #187980
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Go for it. Angel wings are no problem…done it twice. The halo needs to be secure.

    in reply to: Liability Insurance #187978
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I getcha…like tripping on an extension cord. I still wouldn’t…unless it gets to be a universal thing …then I would have to.
    Your story reminded me of a brunch I had in the 80s. They had the food set up next to a fountain, and it was obvious which side of the food table to be on, but this lady, dressed in her Sunday finest, tottered up on her high heels on the OTHER side, the ledge right next to the fountain. She slid off, and there was a tremendous splash. Fortunately, I was out of range. She was soaked from head to toe and made her way out of the place to go home and dry out. I doubt if she thought of a lawsuit against the place. I think only her pride was hurt. Everyone was trying not to laugh because it was like slapstick comedy.

    in reply to: Liability Insurance #187976
    Sylvia
    Participant

    How silly. I never thought of myself as a menace to anyone when I’m out playing. I would just decline the job ..telling the site and the wedding couple I don’t have that kind of insurance, and I think it’s an unreasonable requirement….and refer it to another harpist.

    in reply to: Liability Insurance #187967
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I’m wondering why they would require it. Do they also require it of bands? What types of venues are they? Are you there for an extended stay as in an opera pit? All the other percussion would be there also.

    in reply to: Pedal Felts- Felts or Leather? #187659
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I’ve heard that piano felt is not good to use. That is why the harp companies sell the felts we use.

    in reply to: Future harpest who's blind. #187277
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I worked in the schools with the blind as a braillist. I’m certified in both literary and music braille. Music braille is different. The C note is a braille D, etc., but you get used to it. At first, I found it very confusing. Many adult blind students learn music braille on the Hadley School for the Blind course on the Internet.
    Are you previously sighted, or have you always been blind? It makes a big difference if you already know how things look.
    Here is a discussion forum you might enjoy.
    menvi-discuss@menvi.org
    MENVI is Music Education Network for the Visually Impaired.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 824 total)