susan-ash

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Trembling Hands #62631
    susan-ash
    Participant

    Thank you Elizabeth. I do hold my breath when I play and so now understand that may be contributing to this problem.

    in reply to: Trembling Hands #62627
    susan-ash
    Participant

    Sid..thank you for the reply. Really good to hear that someone else is confident about some types of public appearances, but can get nerves about other types. Somehow I was lumping it all together. And the book will be helpful, glad you suggested it.

    Andee…I think you make an interesting distinction between being nervous and excited. I’m sure it’s a fine line, but you have me thinking about it a little differently, because it does feel like adrenaline.

    susan-ash
    Participant

    I am so glad to read this discussion! I have been taking lessons for 3 years and have become so frustrated, because I believe I should be beyond the beginner stage by now. (Never mind that in those 3 years I’ve still had work, family, and many other obligations to attend to……..it has been 3 YEARS and I’m an intelligent adult who is accomplished at other pursuits, why not this in a whole 3 years)! Then I have people in my life who have known music since childhood…..well it just seems hopeless that I will ever be out of this beginner stage! I should just relax and enjoy the process I’ve been told, but that is a little tough when I want to make music so badly.
    So, it is great to read of where other folk are in their pursuit of the harp……in terms of years studying. Gives me some reference points.
    Please keep the posts coming!

    susan-ash
    Participant

    I wanted to use glasses instead of contacts, and do not care for progressives. Trying all the currently popular style frames, I found I looked out below the bottom of the frames when looking at the higher strings. The solution is perfect….I took an old pair of large framed glasses from the 1990’s, and had bifocals put in them. Had to specifically ask for what they called “executive” bifocals, that cover completely the bottom third of the lens. Yes, the glasses are large for today’s style, but I can see the music on the stand and my strings. Besides when large frames make a come back I’ll be on the leading edge.

    in reply to: Harpsicles? Paraguayan harps? I need help! #68940
    susan-ash
    Participant

    I have a Harpsicle (the Sharpsicle model) so if the tension and string spacing is the same on the Grand Harpsicle then perhaps my experience will be of help.

    in reply to: A brand new Harp Column forum! #101997
    susan-ash
    Participant

    Wonderful new site! Many, many hours/months of work to be sure….thank you, it is appreciated!

    in reply to: Sweetharp #102689
    susan-ash
    Participant

    I have been following this post with interest.

    in reply to: Compare & Contrast #69878
    susan-ash
    Participant

    I think a great point was made, make the decision emotionally.

    in reply to: How would you respond? #156019
    susan-ash
    Participant

    Love all the comments….they have truly made me laugh.

    in reply to: Move the harp into the car alone #156031
    susan-ash
    Participant

    Why don’t you practice getting it into the car with someone at the ready should it start to go south.

    in reply to: How would you respond? #156005
    susan-ash
    Participant

    I appreciate your comments!

    Sometimes the statement is made objectively which is understandable if all you have seen is a pedal harp on TV.

    in reply to: bringing harp outside today! #103703
    susan-ash
    Participant

    I love playing my harp out on the deck….the breeze….the sounds of nature…it changes the entire experience.

    in reply to: When the party runs into overtime- with no referee #146482
    susan-ash
    Participant

    I live in a small community and operate a business there (not harp related, although I do play harp).

    in reply to: Please help me think clearly… #156427
    susan-ash
    Participant

    Compared to the cost of most harps…yes the price is less.

    in reply to: Here’s a music video! There’s a harp in it. #105413
    susan-ash
    Participant

    Beautiful!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)