susan-ash

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Für Elise – played by our 8 years old son… #193390
    susan-ash
    Participant

    How wonderful….to have a family making music together! Your son will truly enjoy the Merlin harp. I’ve had one for several years, and it is still a joy to play. The beautiful lower octaves make it a delight!
    Your son is on his way….thanks for allowing us to listen!

    in reply to: Harpists with Chronic Illness #190311
    susan-ash
    Participant

    There is a wonderful lady & harpist, Robbin Gordon-Cartier. She will be giving workshops at the harp conference “Beginning in the Middle” that is scheduled for March 2016.
    I have no contact information for her otherwise.

    in reply to: Bloodstain in gut strings. Help! #189762
    susan-ash
    Participant

    In the future if you want to get your blood off something….use your saliva. Your blood….your spit….I think it is the proteins in one’s own saliva that will get out one’s own blood. Sounds crazy but I know for a fact that it works.

    Sometimes hydrogen peroxide will work as well.

    in reply to: Salvi, L&H, Camac, R-harp, Sandpiper, Webster harp? #189761
    susan-ash
    Participant

    I have the “R-Harp”. Wonderful harp, with beautiful tone and tension. Great customer support as well.

    in reply to: trying to buy a nice lap/travel harp #189758
    susan-ash
    Participant

    I play a 36 string level harp…and when looking to buy a small harp was frustrated with the the string spacing, tension and tone of most lap harps. Finally I purchased the Niamh 27. The spacing and tension is the best I have seen in such a small harp. But, I will say that the bottom of the sound board is wide….at 14″. But that is the reason it has such good tone and tension.
    Although I highly recommend this harp if you really want a small harp, I encourage you to try the lap harps. I find them more difficult to play because it can be awkward to find a comfortable position with which to hold them. However, the Niamh has a beautiful stand that puts it in a good position to play without having to balance the harp on your lap.

    In a larger level harp…have you tried a Dusty Strings Boulevard? I tried one and was really impressed with the string tension, etc. Larger than a lap harp but certainly not as heavy as a pedal.
    Another brand with wonderful sound is the “R-Harp”. About the size of the Boulevard.

    Good luck,
    Susan

    in reply to: Environmental music in hospice for a lever harp #189447
    susan-ash
    Participant

    Here are a few suggestions on music:
    Healing Music for Harp by Christina Tourin. She has some chapters on the effect of music on the patient, including using the patient’s breathing and heart rate to determine meter & tempo.
    That book also has many, many pieces of music.

    The Healer’s Way Companion by Stella Benson. There are 2 books in this series, one for those in pain and the other is calming music for anxiety. Simple but beautiful songs. And she too includes information about how to play for patients.

    You also may find it helpful to visit this website:
    http://www.nsbtm.org/member-directory/accredited-programs/
    Lots of information on therapy harp and links to different programs.

    Hope that is helpful, good luck.
    Susan

    in reply to: best portable music stand #187987
    susan-ash
    Participant

    Being in the same position with my eyes, I have 2 suggestions that worked for me:
    Complicated and expensive but truly took care of the eye problem. I got prescription bi-focals made for only 2 distances. The doctor called them “executive” bi-focals because the bottom portion is large and extends the entire bottom width of the lenses. I measured the distance required to see the music with the stand placed at a typical distance from the harp (that is the top portion of the glasses) from which I see middle C and below as well; and the bottom lens is a distance which allows me to see the strings in the higher octaves.
    Before I could afford the glasses….I did not splay the legs of the stand out the entire distance. The portable stand I have (no name), allows me to stop the legs before they are open the entire length and that gives the stand a much smaller footprint and is still sturdy enough.
    Just some suggestions.

    in reply to: I bought a Fullsicle Harpsicle #187375
    susan-ash
    Participant

    Congratulations on your new harp! It is so exciting to have a new harp in your hands….happy for you!
    Harpsicles are well made and attractive! (I play a lever harp, but not a harpsicle).
    I welcome you to the harp as an older student! I was about your age when I started my journey with the harp, and even though I wish there had been opportunities when I was young to learn music….I wouldn’t miss this experience for the world!
    Best of luck!

    in reply to: Downgrading? To Ravenna #78434
    susan-ash
    Participant

    Bonnie makes excellent points, and I agree.

    I have a Ravenna and it is a wonderful portable harp.

    The original cost of the harps isn’t relevant. Think of it this way….a guy has an big, old Cadillac….but it isn’t much good for hauling stuff around in the way a nice shiny late model pick-up truck. Someone will buy the old Cadillac, and then he will have the funds to buy the useful pick-up. Original cost doesn’t even come into play. Just saying!

    in reply to: Hand Strain Not Getting Better! #60603
    susan-ash
    Participant

    I have had horrible hand pain. But surprisingly it wasn’t a hand issue. I deal with pinched nerves in my spine. If the nerves in my neck are being affected I feel it in my hand, not in my neck. This was such a mystery when it first occurred because there was no neck pain and so I thought my hand was the problem, until I had diagnostic images done at the hospital.

    So, I would look at how you are holding your head, or the tension the harp may be placing on your right shoulder, which in turn is compromising the nerves in that neck/shoulder area with the resulting pain radiating down into the right hand.

    Look at a chart of how the nerves from the spine are connected to various areas of the body, and you may get an understanding of the point of origin.

    in reply to: Grand Harpsicle Harp vs. Fullsicle #78364
    susan-ash
    Participant

    My first harp was a Dusty Strings Revenna. But wanting to get another, smaller harp I purchased a Harpsicle, and while it is a fun harp and is manufactured by a great company, the string spacing is ever so slightly closer and the tension was simply too light for me to enjoy playing. However I read that they now have a Special Edition Fullsicle which is described as having a better [string] feel.
    As Ben stated you can add a pick-up to a Dusty Strings (and just about any harp) if that is a major purchasing point.

    in reply to: BITM #113440
    susan-ash
    Participant

    I wouldn’t miss it! A wonderful event! See you there Kay.

    in reply to: Zoom H1 playback #77909
    susan-ash
    Participant

    Please forgive me if you tried this…..but I plug a set of earbuds or head phones directly into the Zoom and the playback is very, very clear. There is of course a speaker in the Zoom but it isn’t the best. Either way no computer required.

    in reply to: Which harp? #77742
    susan-ash
    Participant

    I agree with Lyn, the harp with more strings would be a good choice. I have a Ravenna and am very happy with the tension and the tone. It holds tuning well also. I can think of no draw backs. It is a lovely, affordable harp. Also I have no problem putting it in the case or carrying it.

    in reply to: Trembling Hands #62637
    susan-ash
    Participant

    I sincerely appreciate all the responses to my question. In addition to excellent suggestions, it reduces my stress to know that I am not alone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)