harpcolumn

Bloodstain in gut strings. Help!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Bloodstain in gut strings. Help!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    duckspeaks
    Participant

I didn’t notice a small wound and got blood stains over all the white strings. Wiped away all visible stains with mildly damp tissue paper. Some strings are low and they tend to last long.

Have I caused any long term cosmetic problems?

Thanks in advance!

Femke Brouwer
    Participant

If the stains are now gone, it should be fine. Never use ethanol or similar products on blood stains, that will cause the proteins in the blood to precipitate and cause stains that are almost impossible to remove.

I don’t know if harp strings can handle soap, but in case there is still some visible staining, gently rubbing it with a cloth with a tiny amount of green soap may help. (first wet the cloth, then add some green soap, rinse it with lukewarm water so that most of the soap is gone, then wring it so it’s damp instead of dripping wet). That usually works on clothing / surfaces with older blood stains.

susan-ash
    Participant

In the future if you want to get your blood off something….use your saliva. Your blood….your spit….I think it is the proteins in one’s own saliva that will get out one’s own blood. Sounds crazy but I know for a fact that it works.

Sometimes hydrogen peroxide will work as well.

duckspeaks
    Participant

Thank you Femke and Susan. After a few days there seems to be no secondary damage like stains as I have feared. I now always check my hands before playing.

Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies