harpcolumn

best portable music stand

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories best portable music stand

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    julie-hussar

I’m wondering if folks would chime in about the best portable music stand they have found for use with a pedal harp.
    Due to aging eyes I need the stand fairly close and have found that with both of the rather expensive stands I have purchase I have difficulty positioning the tripod legs so they don’t interfere with the D pedal.
    Any suggestions before I spend more money One of the stands I have is K & M heavy duty which is a great stand in many ways the other is a hmm does not have a brand name one it. Suffice to say the legs get in the way on both.

susan-ash
    Participant

Being in the same position with my eyes, I have 2 suggestions that worked for me:
    Complicated and expensive but truly took care of the eye problem. I got prescription bi-focals made for only 2 distances. The doctor called them “executive” bi-focals because the bottom portion is large and extends the entire bottom width of the lenses. I measured the distance required to see the music with the stand placed at a typical distance from the harp (that is the top portion of the glasses) from which I see middle C and below as well; and the bottom lens is a distance which allows me to see the strings in the higher octaves.
    Before I could afford the glasses….I did not splay the legs of the stand out the entire distance. The portable stand I have (no name), allows me to stop the legs before they are open the entire length and that gives the stand a much smaller footprint and is still sturdy enough.
    Just some suggestions.

Andelin
    Participant

Does “portable” mean collapsible? I have one collapsible stand that I got a long time ago–probably 10 years. It is sturdy–it can hold a binder full of music. It is usable still, but many of the screws won’t stay tight so it wobbles–I definitely wouldn’t take it anywhere unless I had absolutely no other choice. I don’t know the brand. I do the same as Susan–I don’t fully extend the legs outward so the legs are at a steeper angle and take up less floor space.

I recently replaced it with a Manhasset music stand. It is not really collapsible, but it is lighter and not too bulky. I don’t have a pedal harp so I can’t speak to the non-interference with the d pedal, but the legs holding it up are close to the ground, so I would imagine it would work well. If i sit at my prelude, I can bring the stand close to myself and keep the legs far enough away from where a d pedal would be.

Of course, if you need collapsible, this is no help to you, but I’ll put it out there anyway.

Perhaps if you posted a picture of your problem? That might help with suggestions.

Good luck.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.