Stephen Conor

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: The Nancy Rae Lever Harp #71065
    Stephen Conor
    Participant

    I would like for my niece to also try learning how to play pedal harp. She is now taking harp lessons and I’m thinking of letting her learn pedal harp. She is now 12. I’m not being pushy right?

    in reply to: Spanish Music #166023
    Stephen Conor
    Participant

    Yeah, you can find any pieces for Spanish dance type in any music dealer. Or in books that has dance lessons that plays with a Spanish dance type music. Best of luck for your daughter.

    in reply to: wire strung harp #156852
    Stephen Conor
    Participant

    Some players don’t color their strings at all, and find their way by knowing their top and bottom strings, tracking vibrating strings, finding particular intervals (half–steps, gaps or perhaps two strings tuned identically in the middle of the harp’s range), or even gauging from a mark in the grain of the wood next to a particular string.

    However, most harpers do use color to at least some extent. If you have trouble seeing your strings and have tried the obvious course of re–applying their color, there are a couple of things you can try. You can use a brighter color, say pink instead of red for your C’s or turquoise for the F strings. You can take a fine piece of colored thread and tie a bit of it high up on the string or down near the soundboard. Some people color their string shoes or tuning pins especially those who are new and taking harp lessons. Paint may work better than using markers (try a model paint from a hobby shop). If you decide to use paint or permanent markers, do be very careful not mark the wood of your harp.

    in reply to: learning Piano after harp? #104488
    Stephen Conor
    Participant

    It is a bit hard to learn piano after harp. And I find it true, the spacing is wider so when trying to play one, you’ll really need to focus. In our piano classes, I guess I am the only one having a hard time learning. But it’s fun.

    in reply to: Student Self-Harm? #83079
    Stephen Conor
    Participant

    I agree with Elinor. And this would be a reminder to all music teachers out there. We may do everything for out students which sometimes we also cross some boundaries that we shouldn’t go in to. Being a supportive music teacher, we have done everything we could do in our power.

    in reply to: Contemporary wedding music #146785
    Stephen Conor
    Participant

    With regards to contemporary songs, especially weddings, more couple prefer to have classical musics. In most of the contemporary weddings that I attended, they often hire people who took proper classical guitar lesson to play them wonderful and memorable songs.

    in reply to: Por Una Cabeza for Violin , Harp and Cello #156944
    Stephen Conor
    Participant

    Hey same here. Kindly post here if you found a place where such arrangements or sheet music are present. I am taking cello lessons and I kinda need it before our semester ends. Really appreciate it.

    in reply to: Why do you play the harp? #102578
    Stephen Conor
    Participant

    Same here. I fell inlove with the harp when my parents enrolled me in a music school. I was there for voice lessons but I overheard someone play the harp and I fell inlove with it eversince.

    in reply to: The Career of a Professional Harpist #144851
    Stephen Conor
    Participant

    Like what most members answered, most professional harpist have a mixed life. Not all are part of an orchestra, or a harp teacher in a music school. Or more to say, make a living out of it. I think it would be best if you take it as a hobby more than a way of living.

    in reply to: Sight Reading #157066
    Stephen Conor
    Participant

    I find this true. Piano teachers today really help their students with such concern. Look for books that a piano teacher could advice you to get and more practice. Practice would be the best teacher you could have in sight-reading. Best of luck.

    in reply to: Learning piano before harp #82844
    Stephen Conor
    Participant

    From what my previous piano teaching service, they somehow recommend to learn piano first before harp or any string instrument. So I did take piano lessons first then had harp lessons.

    in reply to: Eddie Druzinsky passed away #147543
    Stephen Conor
    Participant

    That’s a good biography of Edward Druzinsky. I heard him once play the flute and he really is good. The flute music is so relaxing. Btw, you could add this at Wikipedia. I read from BBC website that they don’t have biography for Druzinsky. You can contribute this biographical information.

    in reply to: suggestions for harp + piano sheet music #105567
    Stephen Conor
    Participant

    I find this true. I play the keyboard and a cousin of mine plays the harp. We tried to play together and it was a bit hard at first. The piano music was fine but it was hard finding the right tone for the harp. Well I guess we just need practice then.

    in reply to: first harp lesson ! #157209
    Stephen Conor
    Participant

    Wow. Now I am also excited on having my own harp and play the songs they taught me on my previous harp lessons. I am as well renting a harp right now since I really don’t know what harp to buy just yet.

    in reply to: Harp Lesson! #157242
    Stephen Conor
    Participant

    Thanks for the some pointers. I am just a beginner. The things that I’ve learned previously from my harp lessons is that there is a certain hand position and way to
    “pluck” the strings that really should be learned from a teacher as
    to avoid any injuries to your hands and wrists. And DO NOT use your nails. Nails must be extremely short! You
    must use the pad of your fingers. All fingers and thumb can be used except for the little
    finger.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)